Re: GPS Issue on Galaxy s8

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Steps from SamsungCole btw. Buying an iPhone next
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Were you able to try the step @userOP95yW6Vkp presented?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The fact this thread was marked as "solved" is astonishing.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: GPS Issue on Galaxy S8+

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi I've just last couple of days since Tom Tom updated now getting serious GPS issues, as described in a lot of these blogs it's gone from working brilliant to not at all.

I've tried all resets, cache cleaning ect turned power saving off , switched other things on and off again as help pages suggest to no avail, My work Samsung phone has the same Tom Tom GO app on it but not updated is working just fine, but is a pain to use for navigation as its used to scan my jobs to each drop I make and is in and the van frequently.

Since.TomTom GO September 10th 18 update applied to my S8+ TomTom GO is now non functioning, GPS is totally useless .

So appears to an app thing not Samsung phone thing.

Time to buy yet another  New Sat Nav again am a courier so need my maps to work correctly .. thought having Tom Tom GO on my phone would eliviate the need to purchase one at considerable expense right now. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello.

I have S8+ and after September 2018 update, the GPS can't detect any satellite. 

I normally use Google maps or Waze, and after that update on device the apps never locked on GPS signal again.

After that I have installed "GPS Test" app, and no satellite appears on the horizon. Until that update the GPS worked without problems. 

Does Samsung detected this behaviour on the same device after September update?

Can you correct this problem URGENTLY?

I'm ashamed of saying that I have a top of market phone, that does not have a working GPS.

Thanks. 

Rui

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue. After the update the gps is very unstable / unusable. It drops often to 0 sattelites and takes ages to get a fix with a couple of sattelites.  I cannot use my gps and navigation because of this problem. I did a factory reset  and deleted cache but nothing works.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
This is a temporary fix because the battery dies faster. Samsung needs to release a fix
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried everything else beforehand.

Samsung's September(2020) Security Patch fixed my GPS problems on my Samsung Galaxy S8. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My problem on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is that, and this happens for me mostly on fitness tracking apps (Samsung Health, Google fit and Map My Walk /Run/Bike) and also once in a great while on navigation apps (Waze and G-Maps), on app start-up GPS will connect and the app will recognize the satellite connection and start tracking my movement and within a minute or so GPS will stop tracking. Once the app loses GPS it will not re-find the signal again and automatically reconnect.  I have started my app, walked 5 miles and then noticed that the app showed that I walked for an hour and a half and covered only a couple of hundred feet due to this problem. If I’m not constantly looking at the app with phone in hand, especially for the first couple of minutes, I will not notice that the app and GPS is no longer tracking my movement activity. Once I can get the GPS signal to stay connected after about 2 minutes, it does not disconnect after that and I can go for hours without having to worry about whether tracking has stopped. The closest thing that I have found to a solution for this issue is to watch the phone closely while walking, running or bicycling so that I’ll notice when GPS disconnects, close out the app so that it is no longer running in the background and then restart the app and let it find GPS again. Sometimes I have to do this 3 or 4 times before it locks onto GPS and won't let go.

There is an app on the app store called “GPS Status & Toolbox” that seems to assist the phone in finding and locking onto GPG satellites. I have been using it for about 3 weeks and it seems to have fixed Samsung’s’ GPS issue. If you download it, just make sore that it is set to run in the background and it’s set to show up in the notification area when running. Whenever you activate a GPS tracking app, this apps icon should show up in the notification area. If not, I close the app and make sure that GPS Status & Toolbox is running before restarting the GPS tracking app.