cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userlNyAlaKLub
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S8 Bluetooth Connection

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just bought an S8 with confidence that it would work with something as simple as bluetooth. Since my S6 worked with my 2013 Toyota Hilux, how was I supposed to suspect that the S8 wouldn't connect at all? If I can't get my bluetooth connected in the next 2 weeks, I'm just going to have to send the phone back. Although, I'm sure Telstra won't want any part of that.

I'm so sick of getting screwed over by phones. I had to retire a Sony Z5 after 3 months of use because it was so poorly designed. If I'm about to get the same result from Samsung I don't know where to turn. 

user7u6RLWJSQY
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
@SamsungCourt wrote:

The S8 and S8+ devices feature the new Bluetooth 5.0 technology which offers a longer range and a faster connection. We understand some car manufacturer's have not upgraded their systems to the 5.0 technology yet so I would recommend reaching out the the dealership or the manufacturer for more information on when that update will be available for your vehicle

This is a really dumb and irresponsible response, especially since Samsung specifically stated that Bluetooth 5.0 was backward-compatible with previous versions of Bluetooth. And just to remind you, the S8 and S8+ seem to play fine with some older Bluetooth devices that were obviously not designed with Bluetooth 5.0 in mind. So either 1) Bluetooth 5.0 is actually NOT fully backward-compatible as Samsung suggested, or 2) Samsung's implementation of Bluetooth 5.0 is flawed in their firmware and/or hardware. Either way, Samsung definitely messed up here. If it's the former, then they falsely advertised their products and ended up screwing over a lot of customers. If it's the latter, then their response thus far has been grossly inadequate. It's been over 7 months since this problem was first reported, and Samsung has yet to show much interest in fixing or even acknowledging the problem. I'm sorry, but that's just unacceptable, especially for devices that cost between $700 and $1000. Your ridiculous response here just adds insult to injury.

usero805HQQhfH
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user7u6RLWJSQY wrote:
@SamsungCourt wrote:

The S8 and S8+ devices feature the new Bluetooth 5.0 technology which offers a longer range and a faster connection. We understand some car manufacturer's have not upgraded their systems to the 5.0 technology yet so I would recommend reaching out the the dealership or the manufacturer for more information on when that update will be available for your vehicle

This is a really dumb and irresponsible response, especially since Samsung specifically stated that Bluetooth 5.0 was backward-compatible with previous versions of Bluetooth. And just to remind you, the S8 and S8+ seem to play fine with some older Bluetooth devices that were obviously not designed with Bluetooth 5.0 in mind. So either 1) Bluetooth 5.0 is actually NOT fully backward-compatible as Samsung suggested, or 2) Samsung's implementation of Bluetooth 5.0 is flawed in their firmware and/or hardware. Either way, Samsung definitely messed up here. If it's the former, then they falsely advertised their products and ended up screwing over a lot of customers. If it's the latter, then their response thus far has been grossly inadequate. It's been over 7 months since this problem was first reported, and Samsung has yet to show much interest in fixing or even acknowledging the problem. I'm sorry, but that's just unacceptable, especially for devices that cost between $700 and $1000. Your ridiculous response here just adds insult to injury.

I agree.  I've tried to get this addressed by Samsung repeatedly, and am convinced they don't know what they are doing.  My phone has been taken back to factory settings twice--per Samsung--with hopes that would help.  About a week ago, the Bluetooth actually worked right for a call.  I have no idea why it suddenly decided to work.  Before that, I had trouble even getting the phone and car to pair.  Even after the phone picked up the car's Bluetooth and decided to pair, I had issues.

I only want the Bluetooth for urgent phone calls.  Had I known how problematic Bluetooth on the S8 was going to be, I'd have been looking at non-Samsung phones.  This has definitely got me considering something besides Samsung for my next phone.  The S8 is my fifth Samsung phone, and this issue has definitely affected my opinion of Samsung and not for the better.

Her_Kitty_Daddy
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Y'know, I'd expect this from Apple but not from Samsung.

I'm going to make a statement that may very well tick off the Samsung folks (and get this post deleted) but that statement is a C-Y-A statement pure and simple.

However, my LG Bluetooth headphones aren't going to be "upgraded" by LG to fix the problem I'm experiencing. The problem is on the Samsung end and they should be embarrassed by it.

The Bluetooth specification *clearly* states that 5.0 systems *must* be backwards compatable to previous versions. I'll also restate that this is boarding on the edge of being a safety issue. It significantly impacts the operation of my handsfree headset.

Her_Kitty_Daddy
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCourt wrote:

Did anyone else notice the name? Could it be the legal department?

userZxepgMyXcT
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCourt

@SamsungCourt wrote:

This is the most crazy response I have ever heard. This is a safety issue. Every time I am on a call the bluetooth cuts out and almost causes me to have an accident to try and get the speaker connected!

This problem also does not only happen in vehicles. It happend on my Bose and Jabra headphones as well as my Nixon portable speakers. This is a SAMSUNG problem. NONE of the other manufacturers have this issue...

I have been a loyal supporter of Samsung for over 10 years. Not any more. I am placing my order tomorrow for a iphone or One+5!!! Chucking this $900 phone in the bin!

Mementh
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recently left town for a few days without my car. Before this my s8 plus had been able to connect to my car. Since returning it now wont connect to it. I went to a telstra shop where i had purchased my phone and they said they have not even heard of any bluetooth issues with the s8. Shows how much they know. I have tried everthing except doing a reset of my phone as i dont want to loose everything on it just for the sake of bluetooth. I wish they would hurry up and fix this issue. I love samsung. But after this I may go to a different brand.

userfhgOv1fMBA
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungCourt wrote:

This is completely false! Bluetooth 5 doesn't even WORK on the S8. Samsung has confirmed that BT 5.0 only works in Android Oreo, and the phones are still on Android Nougat. The phone has only been BT 4.0 since its release. And as others have said, technical standards say that 5.0 devices MUST be backwards compatible, so it is Samsung's fault for not conforming to technical standards. Either that, or just admit you have defective units out there. 

userlNyAlaKLub
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey guys. I finally got my S8 to connect to my 2013 Toyota Hilux via Bluetooth! I honestly don't even know exactly how (and I'm an IT tech). This is what I did.

Installed Bluetooth Auto Connect by Uniq Tec Inc from play store as per a recommendation in the forums - played around with it - still no connection.

Installed Bluetooth Pair by Waylon Huang from play store. 

Put car head unit into bluetooth pair mode. The Bluetooth pair app on the phone said it found it but it didn't present it in the menu. I then went into the blueooth settings on the phone and tried to pair. It gave me the same old error. I was then able to see the car head unit in the bluetooth pair app. I tried connecting - it connected. Yay! But no music was coming out. I then went back into the android bluetooth settings and saw that call audio and music audio were turned off - I turned them on - the bluetooth head unit then disconnected with another error. I then Reconnected and was able to turn on all audio settings and it works!

Sorry for the messy confusing instructions, but this was my experience. I don't know how exactly this worked out, but the Bluetooth Pair app seems to have done what Samsung alone could not. Very bizarre. 

I hope this helps someone.

Highlighted
usereKtbZ0R7HI
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am able to manually connect my s8+ Bluetooth to my 2015 Subaru but it must be done manually every time I start the car. S6 worked fine and connected automatically when the car started. Getting tired of Samsung passing the buck. Are they even working on a fix?