cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Galaxy S8+ Keeps Freezing, especially after screenshot

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the last week or so, my Galaxy S8+ (T-mobile, up to date on updates) has been randomly freezing.  Each time I do a hard reset (hold power and volume down buttons) and it restarts, but usually it will freeze again soon after.  I get caught in a loop until it randomly stops, but again it usually takes a few restarts. I've tried everything short of a factory reset.  It started one day last week when I had Scrabble Go open and switched to Snapchat. It froze on the Snapchat camera. But that hasn't happened again. I've tried uninstalling apps, booting in safe mode during one of my restart "loops" (still froze!), clearing the cache partition, clearing app caches, shifting stuff to the phone's SD card to free up internal storage (which is maybe 75% full) etc.  I was good for a couple days, but today it started another loop when I tried to screenshot in the Facebook app.  Weirdly, freezing up when I screenshot seems to be the only common denominator, but it works fine screenshotting snapchat.  I'm stumped outside f backing up everything and doing a factory reset, but I'd like that to be the last resort.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S8+ Keeps Freezing, especially after screenshot

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for that information. I would recommend a factory reset as the next step. 

Important: Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts.

Before you perform a factory reset, be sure to back up your personal data, so you don't lose it all. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for reaching out to Samsung. I would like to look at a couple of things.

Have you made sure that your phone is up to date?

Does your phone still freeze while it's still in safe mode?

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen.
  3. When "SAMSUNG" appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. Safe mode will display in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  7. Release the Volume down key when you see Safe Mode.
  8. Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.

Turn off safe mode

1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. Tap Restart.
Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for respondign, @SamsungQue 

It does still freeze in safe mode.  I think the issue is somehow related to my photo Gallery.  I got stuck in another "loop" tonight that started when I tried to screenshot a webpage in chrome.  I did a hard reset and tried to open my camera and it froze again.  Booted in safe mode, and my camera opened fine, but when I opened Gallery (still in safe mode) it froze again.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried wiping the cache partition on your device?

The system cache partition stores temporary system data. It's supposed to allow the system to access apps more quickly and efficiently, but sometimes things get cluttered and outdated, so a periodic cache clearing can help make the system run more smoothly.

Give these steps a try to wipe the cache partition on your device: 

Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
An 'Installing system update' message will show for 30 - 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
Press Power key to select.
Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
Press the Power key to restart the device

Please let me know if you continue to experience the symptom.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungSteph @SamsungQue 

I had tried this once before in the last week, but it didn't solve the problem.

Today, I had gone probably a full 24 hour without a freeze, so i thought I would see if I was safe.  Tried to take a screenshot and the phone froze again.  So, I figured it was time to try wiping the cahce partition again.  Did that and rebooted.  Phone was on for a couple minutes with one app open (Pinterest) and froze again.  This is pretty typical of when it starts freezing like this.  I restart, close any apps that are open, let it sit for a little, and open a random app to see if it freezes.  Each time it is, like I descirbed above, a "loop." I get stuck restarting anywhere from 5-10 times due to freezes and randomly one of the restarts will solve the problem.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, Gallery and screenshotting (whether through the Edge panel or holding Power+volume down) remain unavailable. Gallery doesn't always cause a freeze, but it often does.  Screenshotting does, from what I remember, every time.  Further, the freezing doesn't ALWAYS happen through Gallery, Camera, or sreenshot.  Sometimes it wil just randomly happen while, say, scrolling Facebook or something.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried force stopping and clearing the cache and data for your Gallery app?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah I've done that a few times with any app that I thought had a remote possibility of being the culprit. Removed quite a few too. It didn't help.  I was able to screenshot a couple times today, but I absentmindedly went for it tonight and it froze again. Took about 5 restarts to get going again, and I had to just not touch my phone for like half an hour to be safe. Since it's happening while in safe mode, I figure that really limits what app could be the problem (if it is an app causing the problem). Are there any others that might involve the screenshot function? I've force stopped and cleared cache/data for Camera and Gallery.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for that information. I would recommend a factory reset as the next step. 

Important: Please save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered. If you have encrypted the microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card. From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then follow the on-screen prompts.

Before you perform a factory reset, be sure to back up your personal data, so you don't lose it all. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062029/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you to all for the help.  The factory reset did the trick.  I have to applaud Samsung (and Google) for how easy they make backing up and restoring.  After the reset, my Samsung and Google accounts automatically restored almost everything, including all of my apps and even my home screen configurations.  Then I just restored the rest from my SD card, which I was able to leave in the phone throughout the entire process.  Thanks again!