cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guyon
Cosmic Ray

Galaxy S8 Media Randomly Set to Maximum Volume

JUMP TO SOLUTION

2018/05/07 edit: If you have the IMSA app installed, update it to 7.0.1+. Otherwise, it's probably one of your apps. For any uncommon apps, look through the reviews for 1 star ratings complaining about media volume.

Hi,

My Galaxy S8 (non-plus) will occasionally randomly turn my Media volume all the way to max. This happens several times a day. The volume adjustment popup appears with the media volume maxed when this happens. It does not do so gradually (as if the button is being pressed), but immediately sets to 100%. I first noticed this early Monday, January 29 2018.

I'm trying to narrow down situations where this happens so that I can file a proper bug report.

• This can happen with or without headphones plugged in, which can really hurt.
  • This will happen when my hands are not anywhere near my phone, and nothing is touching the screen or pressing the volume buttons.
  • This is independent of whether the "Use Volume keys for media" option is ticked.
  • This persists across phone restarts
  • With headphones on, it will boost up until the loud volume warning appears, and if you hit "OK" it will boost to max. If you've already bypassed this warning (e.g. you want your volume to be just over the warning limit but not max) it will go to max immediately.
  • This can happen when audio is playing over Bluetooth while the screen is locked.
  • Audio does not need to be active when this bug occurs.
  • This may occur when Bluetooth is off (therefore I've ruled out my FitBit Blaze, which may control media, although I don't have it set up to do so)
  • This occurs when apps are up to date.

This has occured for these hardware/software sets:

• SM-G950F, Android version 7.0, Samsung Experience version 8.1, Kernel version 4.4.13 (@userreKBTuTXwa)
  • SM-G950U1, Android version 7.0, Samsung Experience version 8.1, Kernel version 4.4.16 (myself, @userKimOTINAnm)
  • SM-G955FD, Android version 7.0, Samsung Experience version 8.1, Kernel Version 4.4.13-12640043  (@MrStarz)
  • SMU-G955U T-Mobile, Android version 7.0, Samsung Experience 8.1, Kernel version 4.4.16 (@Syphoner)

I spoke to a Galaxy S8+ user on reddit who also experienced the same issue. Has anyone else experienced this issue, or found a cause/fix? Next time it happens I'll try to take note of what apps are open, though I fear this is chasing after the wind as there's all sorts of background processes open too. (Edit: it just happened with only these three apps up - Signal, Instagram, and Reddit is Fun).

Thanks. I love my S8, but I don't really want it to destroy my ears. I've already had to suddenly rip my earbuds out a few times, and now I can't listen to music or videos in fear of it happening. Arrgh!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guyon
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy S8 Media Randomly Set to Maximum Volume

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah - I definitely think there's a link, especially considering both of you two have it. I installed it just prior to the Rolex 24 as well (and attended, which was a blast!)

I suggest emailing them at info@IMSA.com and requesting a fix. The more of us do it, the more likely we are to getting their attention.

60 REPLIES 60
Guyon
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Edited to add the last three points - I was on my way home yesterday listening to Spotify over bluetooth in my car. I had the phone locked and unplugged in the passenger seat when the audio shot up to maximum volume. I had intentionally left it at 80% or so volume to test this.

It actually happened again as I was writing this reply - last time I locked my phone media was at 0% volume, when I unlocked my phone I was at 100%. Not good for the workplace!

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for reaching out about your media volume @Guyon. Let's see if anyone in the Community has some ideas here.

Hey Community! Anyone else seeing this problem? Anyone have a workaround or suggestion? Let us know!  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userKimOTINAnm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Galaxy S8 user here... Same thing started happening for me on Monday January 29th.   Lay the phone down with 50% media volume... after coming back to phone 30 minutes later... the volume is at 100%...

Any help here would be appreciated.

userKimOTINAnm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

S8 user here.... samething started happening on Monday January 29th for me.

Had phone media volume at 50%... set the phone down for an 1/2hr to an hour.  Came back to it to answer a text message, and the volume was cranked all the way to 100%.  I didn't change anything to the phone, but is been always at 100% everytime I open my phone, even after moving media volume to 50%.  And it's only the media volume.

Guyon
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the input @userKimOTINAnm - would you care to share your model number, Android version, Samsung Experience version, and Kernel version?

userKimOTINAnm
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Model - SM-G950U1

Androide 7.0

Samsung Experience 8.1

userreKBTuTXwa
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This has just started happening on my S8 (non plus) as well. Regardless of the media setting for volume, it randomly spikes to 100%, which as Guyon has already said is potentially dangerous (especially with headphones). 

I'm using wired headphones and have experienced it with the Pocket Casts and Google Play Music apps. 

The other symptoms described by Guyon are the same on my S8.

Model details:

SM-G950F, Android version 7.0, Samsung Experience version 8.1, Kernel version 4.4.13.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Interesting... Thanks for chipping in @userreKBTuTXwa

@Guyon

Can I get the exact model number for your device too?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Guyon
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sure thing, @SamsungViv!

SM-G950U1

I'll include this in the OP as well. Thanks, and thanks @userreKBTuTXwa as well for contributing. While I'm sad this is happening to you as well, I'm glad I'm not alone.

I did another little test and turned Bluetooth off, and my media volume still spiked with Bluetooth off. This rules out my FitBit Blaze as the culprit, which has the ability to control media if configured to do so (mine is not).