cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usernIuF7YJ7aN
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue with my S8+ and I got the brand's new 256gb SD card that came in the preorder bundle. The SD card keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting. It also randomly pops up a notification to transfer files but there are no files to transfer. I don't get why it's doing this because the phone and SD card are brand new directly bought from Samsung.com. 

usermzNeAkj82I
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi I would like to know how Samsung is going to address  this problem with the SD CARD & Galaxy S8+

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Okay, so something else I noticed and am wondering how many other people notice it too. Does anyone notice when you don't use the device for a while, for example when you are asleep, does it unmount a lot then? Or when charging? 99% of my unmounts are when I'm not using the device for an hour or more and when I'm charging it. Coincidence? I'm not so sure anymore, this has occurred many many times, but I was passing it off as coincidence. Any of you having that happen or notice it?
userYeTaO4xP2R
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

HelpNeededTech,

I was wondering the same thing myself.  Doesn't the phone go into some kind of hibernate or power saving mode when it's idle for a long time?  I'm not sure, but I don't think I've had eject issues during that time.

Sammy29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Card would eject at any time for me. Whether I'm using it or not. I don't even use an SD card anymore. Might just send it in to see if they can find a defect and repair it before I sell my S7 edge. I'm past the 14 day refund period. 

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Alright...So I may be on the road to a potential fix. I will have to test it for a few days to make sure it's legit and everything before I leak it out on here potentially causing further frustrations if it does not work. I'm trying pretty much everything that comes to mind as a possible connection. Only problem with that is THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT COULD INTERFERE WITH THIS, but I digress. If it's not a hardware issue, I will try and find a way to stop this stuff. It's a frustrating problem that I unfortunately can't give up on because I'm stubborn or something. Smiley Indifferent So, cross your fingers I guess and I will let you know how it goes. 

Currently: 0 Unmounts in 15hours (usually by now I'd experience 3-7), but these hours don't mean much yet!

Highlighted
TheBeeze
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@HelpNeededTech wrote:

Alright...So I may be on the road to a potential fix. I will have to test it for a few days to make sure it's legit and everything before I leak it out on here potentially causing further frustrations if it does not work. I'm trying pretty much everything that comes to mind as a possible connection. Only problem with that is THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT COULD INTERFERE WITH THIS, but I digress. If it's not a hardware issue, I will try and find a way to stop this stuff. It's a frustrating problem that I unfortunately can't give up on because I'm stubborn or something. Smiley Indifferent So, cross your fingers I guess and I will let you know how it goes. 

Currently: 0 Unmounts in 15hours (usually by now I'd experience 3-7), but these hours don't mean much yet!

You need to go for at least a week before you declare a fix. I've had periods of 3 days where I thought it was gone and then it came back. What'd you try?

Sammy29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wasn't there someone with 10 days without an eject before it came back? 

JAMES
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine does same thing, it's getting on my nerves.. wished there was a fixed coming... 

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, there were a few people out there with 10 days until it unmounted which is great honestly, better than every day 30 times. For me though, it has been a consistent no more than 34hrs before an eject was taken place. Some people may last longer and I think there's a reason behind that as well. I won't go into detail on why that is really unless you want it. The main problem I don't think is a hardware problem per se. Although I think this problem could be solved by replacing a part as well. I believe it can be fixed by an OTA update either on samsungs part or androids, since I believe both are at play here. What is the possible issue? I think it has something to do with the CPU and power saving on apps either by RAM or whatever power saving feature there is tied into Android itself. I'm experiencing it most when I'm not using the phone, which I've stated before. This can also be a reason why it's happening throughout the day as well but everyone will experience different side effects based on their daily usage. So, basically the system is not giving enough power to the SD card reader and just like that it dosconnects. I will give out the "fix" soon, but I wan't to be sure on its effectiveness because as others have stated it can reoccur. Even though mine does not seem to last that long without ejecting I will still wait 5 days at least because even then that is far better than every hour or 20+ times every day.

The fix would cause SLIGHT battery consumption, but far less than it is consuming now by ejecting and remounting every so often. Honestly though, we will NEED Samsung to work with Android/Google on this issue for a more permanent fix. By the way if you have verizon there was an update last night or so for the infamous red tint flaw. This will not fix the SD card so hold your breath, haha. As a side note, this could also be why some that disabled the 'App Power Saver' experienced a longer fix or a total fix by disabling it, but unfortunately that's not the easy fix to the problem. Smiley Sad

Update: 25 hrs without unmount (knocking on several pieces of wood)