cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sammy29
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8+ SD Card Problems

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useruougxZ4rhN it is designed a little differently than the tray on the S7. It is meant to have a tight fit so it does not fall out easily once it clips to the tray. You'll notice there is a small opening at the top of the tray. 

@HelpNeededTech I'll try it out. I am averaging an eject approximately every couple hours. I am not running the red tint update because I unlocked my at&t S8 to use Mint Sim and have to manually flash the update via Odin. So unless an update comes to fix the eject, I'll be sticking with the firmware that came out of the box. If this produces results, I'll be hopeful a software update could fix everything. 

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I believe there's multiple software bugs that seem to target the SD card. It's my only explanation I can give really at this time. It's a crazy problem that Samsung needs to get on top of and at least issue a notice about the issue. We deserve at least that? Anyways, I wish you the best with this possible fix even if it shortens the amount of ejects that would be better than the latter, ha. I'm still at nothing, going on 50ish hours. Early yet, I know...

I'd also like to add, try it first without any Apps running off it for a day or so just to test that part.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's quite the post @HelpNeededTech. I'm loving it a lot, and appreciate you for taking the time to provide steps like that for everyone to see. Previous missing posts may have just been caught by our over sensitive filter, since it really can be picky over post length, or how things are laid out.

This is something that I myself, and others here on the team have already reported and documented following our process here. Hopefully it has the right eyes on it now, but once I hear anything, I'll make sure to update ya'll in a more official capacity.

For the time being, if anyone has positive results from @HelpNeededTech's steps, please post here letting others know that it has helped, and how long you've gone so far without an unmounting of your SD cards. I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback, as I would as well.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungMarcos wrote:

That's quite the post @HelpNeededTech. I'm loving it a lot, and appreciate you for taking the time to provide steps like that for everyone to see. Previous missing posts may have just been caught by our over sensitive filter, since it really can be picky over post length, or how things are laid out.

This is something that I myself, and others here on the team have already reported and documented following our process here. Hopefully it has the right eyes on it now, but once I hear anything, I'll make sure to update ya'll in a more official capacity.

For the time being, if anyone has positive results from @HelpNeededTech's steps, please post here letting others know that it has helped, and how long you've gone so far without an unmounting of your SD cards. I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback, as I would as well.

You're welcome. I'll keep on trying to think of other possibilities as I'm sure you guys are as well ( I Hope Smiley Tongue).

TheBeeze
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here's where I'm at:

I went 4 days with no ejects after turning off bixby vision in package disabler. Just turned it off because it's so annoying and I don't want to turn it on and give out all my pictures (read the terms before you agree to use it).

I saw there was a system update and hoped it was to fix this. I turned everything back on that I had disabled so I'd get a clean install. Phone reboots and updates. 5 minutes later, I get an unmount.... 

I've gone in and disabled bixby vision again now. Will see if it works.

Highlighted
TheBeeze
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
No luck on my method above. It came back with a vengeance.

May try the other method, but I am skeptical about running the CPU all the time as A. It's not intended to be and B. I'm not concerned with losing battery life day to day, but I am concerned about damaging it as a constant draw can do that or deteriorate it.
HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ok so, to give a little update for all you, my fix, alteration, or whatever you want to call it at this point, will help some of you but maybe not all. It helps with my device 99% of the time. It'll eject around 2-3 times in a week or something around there since I made the alteration. I still consider that a win for the most part, but I still believe there are several bugs in the software/ROM resulting in a pain in the SD card's butt. I imagine samsung is aware and is working on the issue, yet it is still always a good idea to keep pressing them about it as you guys are. Keep them updated on what seems to work longest and how many ejects you experience.

For example, with me, it's mostly when my phone is idle or in a deep sleep with apps or certain other services. Some other manditory or system processes are still causing conflict I believe in the SD card reader or something of the sort. It's really hard to diagnose the issues for all of you, especially the one's that restart constantly, since I don't have access to your devices. At this time I don't believe it's a hardware problem for most of you. It COULD be a faulty board in your phone, but unlikely. If it were hardware, little tweaks like what I am doing shouldn't have any effect and it would still eject. Not everyone is experiencing the same issues or with the same frequency either, that also makes me think software bug is at play. Maybe Samsung would rather release a patch once they know they fixed it and not let everyone know publicly that there is a problem, since that'd make them look like failures (after the Note 7), haha. You gotta look at this from a PR perspective and how careful they have to be with information like this. It sucks booty for the customers usually (which isn't how it should work), but that's business apparently. Respectively, I think if it's any longer than another month...that's just sad and proves incompetance on their part. Anyways, no need to continue on that subject since they get my point, haha.

Back to the issue, I would not recommend storing apps on your device as I see no fix for that at the moment. I can't test fixes myself with that problem because I don't have that issue. The restarts and SD card apps do share the problem, that's clear. Anything associated with the SD card seems to be at risk. There may be other system preferences I can change in the mean time to stop some more of the ejects, but still, 2 in 5 days time isn't too bad. Side note, it will take longer to know what preferences I change show any overall effectiveness because of the lack of ejects I'm currently experiencing. I will also test and see if Bixby Vision has any fault to this matter. Any questions about this just hit me up on this forum and I'll get back to you. Good luck!

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@TheBeeze wrote:
No luck on my method above. It came back with a vengeance.

May try the other method, but I am skeptical about running the CPU all the time as A. It's not intended to be and B. I'm not concerned with losing battery life day to day, but I am concerned about damaging it as a constant draw can do that or deteriorate it.

It shouldn't cause any problems really... If you were on 'FULL_WAKE_LOCK' that would be one where I would never run for over a few hours. As for partial? It just makes sure it's running and awake at all times, doesn't mean it's at 100% clock work all the time, that would be bad. If it doesn't cause that much of a battery drain it shouldn't be harmful to the CPU either. In my case so far throughout the day off charge (6hrs), it's only used 86mAh of power. That's a fairly small amount and it's kept the CPU running for 32 extra minutes to keep it awake. I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as there's no sluggish signs in the system or overheating then it's fine.

Sammy29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried the HelpNeeded method without clearing cache partition with no changes while clearing it gave me an eject-free period lasting a little under 24 hours. I was curious to see what would happen if I disabled partial wake. The ejects continued and did not stop after re-enabling it. 

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Good to hear! Yet, not so much. It's a shame such a great phone can be ruined by such a tiny bug, that later becomes a huge upset.