Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeltaEon
Asteroid

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Screenshot_20170517-185933.jpg

Here's the answer I got from Samsung support.

JAMES
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same thing they told me a few,weeks ago to lol

userQlAYv1Vqvj
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On another thread someone spoke to two different techs and both acted like they had heard nothing of this problem. The way this is being handled and taking so long....after the last 4 phones of mine being Samsung and returning my S8+ that may have been my last. 

JAMES
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm getting to that point to, this might be my last Samsung to,,Since seem they don't care or they would had made a big Announcement about it all ready... 

bCreative
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's important to remember that the "techs" who interact with customers are NOT the engineers who will eventually fix these problems. The engineers, of course, are hamstrung by a combination of incomplete reports from end users and poor documentation of those already incomplete reports by the "techs", which make an already difficult issue even more difficult to track down.

For starters, I've seen very few people mention precisely which cards they're using; I've seen a few mentions of class 4 cards, or class 10 cards, 4GB, 128GB, I think I saw someone say 256GB, but I don't think one person here has actually given a manufacturer, let alone a model number, save for two people who have said "the cards that come with the experience kit".

As a software engineer myself (not for Samsung) I can tell you this is *not* enough detail for them to be able to do anything about it. At best, if we're lucky, one of the engineers working on the S8 will get hit by this and be able to use his phone and card as a test case to figure it out -- an that assumes there is only one bug causing this issue; if there are multiple bugs, that engineer will only be able to fix the one one affecting his phone.

Why does the manufacturer and model number matter? Well, not all flash memory is the same, there are several manufacturers of the actual flash chips that go into the cards and they're all slightly different and respond to controller commands with different timings. Don't give the chip long enough to respond and, well, you get what we have here; wait too long and you hamstring performance of faster cards. Knowing the card manufacturer and model number may help narrow down the issue to a specific flash chip, flash manufacturer, or even batch of chips, which exhibit the issue.

That is information which will lead to a fix.

In that vein, allow me to be the first to actually provide that ever-important level of detail:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB Class 10 (UHS-III XC-1 V30)

Model number: SDSQXXG-128G-GN6MA

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh my @bCreative, that was beautifully written. It's nice to read from someone who knows exactly what goes into these processes. The information I requested is what was actually requested of me to obtain. I don't ask much beyond that, but yes, I'm totally with you on this. Having the full details of the SD card being used as well would more than likely be of great help as well.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

userQlAYv1Vqvj
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungMarcos wrote:

Oh my @bCreative, that was beautifully written. It's nice to read from someone who knows exactly what goes into these processes. The information I requested is what was actually requested of me to obtain. I don't ask much beyond that, but yes, I'm totally with you on this. Having the full details of the SD card being used as well would more than likely be of great help as well.

While I agree that there needs to be as much information as possible.....you know people who do this every day.... and have been dealing with this for 4 weeks......like you know moderators.... might ask that question. 

Samsung 128GB Pro Select     MB-MF128DA/AM

Sammy29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Ones that give me ejects

Samsung EVO+ 256GB class 10 UHS-I U3

MB-MC256DA/AM

Sandisk Ultra 200GB class 10 UHS-I

SDSDQUAN-200G-A4A

Ones that do not give me ejects

Kingston 4GB class 4

SDC4/4GB

Sammy29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Sammy29 wrote:

Ones that give me ejects

Samsung EVO+ 256GB class 10 UHS-I U3

MB-MC256DA/AM

Sandisk Ultra 200GB class 10 UHS-I

SDSDQUAN-200G-A4A

Ones that do not give me ejects

Kingston 4GB class 4

SDC4/4GB

Adding to the list of micro SD cards that are not affected with ejects is the Sandisk Ultra Class 10 64GB UHS-I only I believe this may just be the same kind of micro SD as the Class 4 Kingston just with Sandisk printed over it. 

This 64GB was purchased on eBay last year and does not belong to me but I will temporarily swap with the 256GB Samsung SD until a fix comes. 

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Never had any issues with my 256gb Samsung SD card when I had it in my note 7...not with my LG V20 either. These phones were advertised to support microsd of all of types. I don't recall ever seeing any of these phones companies only saying or advertising their device to only support certain brand or types of SD card. So for that, I refuse to use another SD card. This is the problem with the phone, NOT the SD card. Like I said, I will give Samsung some more time to come up with a fix. It's already been a month and counting. The only option now is to get a non Samsung phone or to wait it out. So I'm gonna wait just a little bit more longer.