Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userQlAYv1Vqvj
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user62PoXay4oW wrote:
Never had any issues with my 256gb Samsung SD card when I had it in my note 7...not with my LG V20 either. These phones were advertised to support microsd of all of types. I don't recall ever seeing any of these phones companies only saying or advertising their device to only support certain brand or types of SD card. So for that, I refuse to use another SD card. This is the problem with the phone, NOT the SD card. Like I said, I will give Samsung some more time to come up with a fix. It's already been a month and counting. The only option now is to get a non Samsung phone or to wait it out. So I'm gonna wait just a little bit more longer.

Exactly, some are saying not to put apps on your SD card, but isn't that what it's designed for. 

It may be to late for me....I'm almost certian at this point my next phone will not be Samsung because of how this has been handled. I will try to wait for the fall and hopefully something will come out that I am interested in by then. My S8+ would have been my 5th Samsung phone in a row, until i had to return it because of this issue. 

Sammy29
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Whether moving apps to the SD or not doesn't appear to make a difference on whether the ejects will plague the phone. I said it before and I'll say it again (not paraphrasing from other obscure posts but from testing on my own phone), there may be some compatibility issue with higher-end SD. I did not try any fancy fixes like disabling bixby or keeping the phone partially awake before inserting the lower-end SD card. Moved photos, music and apps onto the SD and on a Class 4 card I listed in a previous post, there was no issues with ejects. I can't speak for the rest whether it works because it seems no one else has low class SD cards lying around to test themselves. And before you say it, I know. This should not be a problem to begin with but I don't plan on changing ships. 

userQlAYv1Vqvj
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Sammy29 wrote:

Whether moving apps to the SD or not doesn't appear to make a difference on whether the ejects will plague the phone. I said it before and I'll say it again (not paraphrasing from other obscure posts but from testing on my own phone), there may be some compatibility issue with higher-end SD. I did not try any fancy fixes like disabling bixby or keeping the phone partially awake before inserting the lower-end SD card. Moved photos, music and apps onto the SD and on a Class 4 card I listed in a previous post, there was no issues with ejects. I can't speak for the rest whether it works because it seems no one else has low class SD cards lying around to test themselves. And before you say it, I know. This should not be a problem to begin with but I don't plan on changing ships. 

So I had a probably 5-6 years old kingston 16gb card... I am not at home to look at it again, but I imagine it was a less expensive SD card but likely a class 10. I had not messed with it in probably over 3 years but tried it in my S8+ but was unable to get it to read. I also tried the one in my old phone (current phone again now) a 64GB Samsung Evo class 10, probably about 2.5 years old. It didn't have any problem reading, but I had the same issue as the 128GB Samsung Pro Select I purchased just for the S8+

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Sammy29 wrote:

Other people have tried lower class cards in the past with this type issue and it didn't seem to help in the long run. But, who knows you might hit a lucky spot for a while. Either way both tech support people said THIS particular phone was designed for class 10 cards, so wouldn't that be funny if it just...doesnt. At this point I'm ending my low end diagnostic look at this issue because I believe it's something that needs to be rewritten in the code to supply more power to the SD card reader at all times or something in it to make it not go into a deep sleep for the SD card. This extra power needed should help it stay mounted. Although, there could be other bugs with the software, that I can't oversee, and that I can't fix without patching it the correct way (through update). Until then just do the Partial Wakelock or do without an SD card for a while.

PS KEEP CALLING IN JUST TO REPORT THE ISSUE AND TELL THEM TO FORWARD IT TO THEIR DIAGNOSTIC TEAM. GIVE THEM AS MUCH INFO ABOUT THE BUG AS POSSIBLE. INCLUDING MESSAGING ON ONE OF THE FORUMS ABOUT THIS ISSUE ON HERE. KEEP THIS THREAD AT THE TOP. It's really like phoning into your local politician about a Bill you don't like, honestly. Just got to annoy them and inform them.
                                                                                   ~Deuces~

Highlighted
TheBeeze
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm running a San Disk Extreme Plus 64Gb UHS 3 Class 10.

bCreative
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm noticing that all the cards having issues, at least those which have been identified and listed here, are Samsung and SanDisk. A bit of reasearch will likely show something in common between those cards. *hint*hint*

This right here might be a long enough list for Samsung to identify the problem, but we should keep adding to it in case there are multiple causes for this issue, which the current list might not reveal.

userQlAYv1Vqvj
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useronbX0IN8Lm wrote:

It's important to remember that the "techs" who interact with customers are NOT the engineers who will eventually fix these problems. The engineers, of course, are hamstrung by a combination of incomplete reports from end users and poor documentation of those already incomplete reports by the "techs", which make an already difficult issue even more difficult to track down.

For starters, I've seen very few people mention precisely which cards they're using; I've seen a few mentions of class 4 cards, or class 10 cards, 4GB, 128GB, I think I saw someone say 256GB, but I don't think one person here has actually given a manufacturer, let alone a model number, save for two people who have said "the cards that come with the experience kit".

As a software engineer myself (not for Samsung) I can tell you this is *not* enough detail for them to be able to do anything about it. At best, if we're lucky, one of the engineers working on the S8 will get hit by this and be able to use his phone and card as a test case to figure it out -- an that assumes there is only one bug causing this issue; if there are multiple bugs, that engineer will only be able to fix the one one affecting his phone.

Why does the manufacturer and model number matter? Well, not all flash memory is the same, there are several manufacturers of the actual flash chips that go into the cards and they're all slightly different and respond to controller commands with different timings. Don't give the chip long enough to respond and, well, you get what we have here; wait too long and you hamstring performance of faster cards. Knowing the card manufacturer and model number may help narrow down the issue to a specific flash chip, flash manufacturer, or even batch of chips, which exhibit the issue.

That is information which will lead to a fix.

In that vein, allow me to be the first to actually provide that ever-important level of detail:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB Class 10 (UHS-III XC-1 V30)

Model number: SDSQXXG-128G-GN6MA

I deal with repairs as well and customers who don't want to give any information other than "repair"... so while I understand what you are saying, maybe Samsung needs to train their people ask better questions. You say you haven't seen many give any detials about their SD card, but I don't ever recall anyone... including moderators here asking for one either. 

So with that said, you can't expect people to automaticly give up detailed information that don't normally to deal with repair work. Maybe they can be helped by asking 1 or 2 questions other than "have you installed any apps?"

Samsung Pro Select 128 GB    MB-MF128DA/AM

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I also mentioned in my previous post @userQlAYv1Vqvj that I only asked what was requested of me to ask. This was what I assumed the engineers themselves, or those on that team, specifically wanted. I'm not really going to second guess what information they wanted or why they wanted it, but I'll let them know about the SD card differences as well. I'm sure a handful of them frequent this post as well when looking into findings.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

usermzNeAkj82I
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung

MicroSDXC UHS-I Card

EVO Plus

Class 10

Model MB-MC128G

Model Code MB-MC128GA/AM

Aksi20100418
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

LOL call??? forget it. I talked to a clueless tech, who said she will transfer me to her supervisor so they can record what I say about the problem. I have been on hold for so long now, this is a joke.

Wonder if they are doing this on purpose.

Hanging up.