cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user5LRkPHGc77
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Between the red tinted screen, get to g screwed with UFS 2.0 storage, and watching my SD card eject randomly every hour I just did the best thing possible. I just threw this piece of junk phone with massive design flaws against the wall and watched it shatter. Last Samsung product ever. Company needs to die

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SD card issue has gotten worst than ever with me S8+. I'm getting more ejects/bad removal/unmounted more than ever before. Also I am now getting more notifications about the SD card ejecting or mounting or "tap here to transfer files" popping up on my notification center. I've always gotten all the ejects/bad removal and such notice on the SD monitor app but would only get 1 or 2 pop up a day on my notification center...but now I'm getting like over 10 popping up a day. So it's gotten to the point where it's intolerable. I think I am just gonna remove the SD card for now until Samsung comes up with a fix. I'm beyond angry now, I'm just tired and fed up and just have that feeling of disappointment. My first Android phone was the note 7 and I loved it, even when it was recalled I didn't wanna return it up until they all forced us too. My second phone was the LG V20 and that thing was flawless. I upgraded to the S8+ and now I'm getting another issue. So with Samsung I'm 0-2. But like with the note 7, I'm still here sticking it out. I'm just sad right now. I don't even know what to say anymore. I'm gonna give Samsung a little bit more time to fix this but if nothing happens I'm giving up on Samsung. 

bCreative
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, that's a much more reasonable response than throwing it at the wall and watching it shatter. Samsung will fix this; there is no doubt of that, they can't leave issues like this alone after the Note 7 or it'll absolutely kill their brand.

TrekNine
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am also having the problem. Bought through Bell Canada. Using a brand new Samsung 128GB EVO+. Formatted it with my laptop, and now my phone. Moved photos and music onto it, inaccessible from my phone. It sees the card, but it's usless. My phone freezes up when I try entering the gallery. This is an absolute joke for a 1200 dollar phone.

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useronbX0IN8Lm wrote:

It's important to remember that the "techs" who interact with customers are NOT the engineers who will eventually fix these problems. The engineers, of course, are hamstrung by a combination of incomplete reports from end users and poor documentation of those already incomplete reports by the "techs", which make an already difficult issue even more difficult to track down.

For starters, I've seen very few people mention precisely which cards they're using; I've seen a few mentions of class 4 cards, or class 10 cards, 4GB, 128GB, I think I saw someone say 256GB, but I don't think one person here has actually given a manufacturer, let alone a model number, save for two people who have said "the cards that come with the experience kit".

As a software engineer myself (not for Samsung) I can tell you this is *not* enough detail for them to be able to do anything about it. At best, if we're lucky, one of the engineers working on the S8 will get hit by this and be able to use his phone and card as a test case to figure it out -- an that assumes there is only one bug causing this issue; if there are multiple bugs, that engineer will only be able to fix the one one affecting his phone.

Why does the manufacturer and model number matter? Well, not all flash memory is the same, there are several manufacturers of the actual flash chips that go into the cards and they're all slightly different and respond to controller commands with different timings. Don't give the chip long enough to respond and, well, you get what we have here; wait too long and you hamstring performance of faster cards. Knowing the card manufacturer and model number may help narrow down the issue to a specific flash chip, flash manufacturer, or even batch of chips, which exhibit the issue.

That is information which will lead to a fix.

In that vein, allow me to be the first to actually provide that ever-important level of detail:

SanDisk Extreme PRO 128GB Class 10 (UHS-III XC-1 V30)

Model number: SDSQXXG-128G-GN6MA

While I agree that giving that kind of information will help, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem so far. I did give all the card information to the tech support people to send to diagnostics as well. This problem is on all different kinds of SD cards even the ones that came with the bundle. I told them it was happening with class 10 cards and samsung and sandisk of all different models because of what I've heard from on here as well as other forums. But, sure I'll list that again 32GB Samsung Pro+. I would give model number, but I don't feel like taking it out right now. Regardless it seems to be widespread on all kinds of brands/models/sizes. Upon speculation, in my opinion, it seems to be a power issue. The CPU doesn't seem to be giving enough power to the SD card reader, especially during times of deep sleep/being idle.

userGqYosi10Ck
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had similar issues with sd apps becoming inaccessable.  
The following pictures show both; that I sd apps become grey and are inaccessible, while I can still access the card through Samsung "My Files".

Rich Benson
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userGqYosi10Ck

It's funny too, you can browse the SD card through My Files AND the app shortcuts on the Edge launcher work too (in addition to the Apps screen).

Not sure why the home screen shortcuts are so different.

Highlighted
Kitty Caine
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is my SD card info. I know fixes take time and the more details as to what is happening helps.

I have a Samsung EVO 256

Class 10

Model: MB-MC256D

user3CoCLS2Ocp
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I just got a Galaxy S8 and my phone has this problem. I haven't reinserted the card tray, but had a similar problem with a SIM on an HTC phone I had. I solved the problem by placing a layer of scotch tape on the non-contact side of the card, trimmed the tape with an xacto knife. The thought was to increase the contact tension on the card. Later HTC came out with a redesigned SIM tray that accomplished the same result. Samsung, if this fixes the problem, I expect some compensation!