JUMP TO SOLUTION

Oh I hope this is the update we've been waiting for 

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Sammy29 wrote:

Oh I hope this is the update we've been waiting for 

It very well could be. Only problem I see is currently the update is being pushed out for the Exynos version not the Snapdragon version (US). So, it might take even longer before they push that one out or till we receive it as well. Smiley Frustrated

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

crazycraig wrote: 

Well, this morning I was using facebook (which has been moved to the sd card; 256gb samsung from the VR bundle), the app updated itself and somehow my phone rebooted.  The reboot disabled the wakelock and I couldn't remember how to clear the system cache; I had to look up the procedures when I got to a PC.  In that two hour window of not using wakelock, I lost count on reboots but the SD card unmounted 22 times.

I have cleared the system cache and enabled wakelock and I am not able to use the phone again with no issues.  I know this is not  a 'fix', but it is a way that I can use my phone the way it should be until Samsung does something officially.

As I've stated other times, if you store your apps on your SD card right now, my fix may not help you as much. It really depends, everyone I've come in contact with have different but same underlying issues. So with some storing apps on it with my "fix" will help and others it will not. My advice is just take the apps off the SD card for now and try my method again. If that still doesn't work, reformat the SD card (backup files) and try again. It's a process, but hopefully they are indeed pushing out a patch as we speak.

crazycraig
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Sorry I meant to say it is now working with no issue. I typed not by mistake, I am really thankful for your research.
HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was an error or not, lol. You are very welcome though! Hopefully this is resolved in the coming update, until then...Wakelock it upppp.

Highlighted
harley13
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Has this been resolved? I've had my new S8+ for two days & today I got a pop up when I was taking a picture saying that it was unable to save to SD card. I had this problem with the S7 Edge, which is why I switched to the S8. It's not the SD card because other devices can read it. Last time I contacted Samsung about this (with the S7) they told me that they only recommend using Samsung cards and that if I switched I shouldn't have this problem. I find that hard to believe, but does anyone know if the Samsung brand cards have less problems in the S8 phones? Thanks. P.S. if it matters: T-Mobile is my carrier 

Kitty Caine
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I saw where you had instructions on how to use wake lock. Can you share again? I am not finding it.
HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Alright I'll try and help you all out on the process. If you guys have any further questions let me know by dropping a comment. So for wakelock its relatively easy...
1) Download it (it's the app in the store with the lightbulb and lock attached to it)
2) You CAN but don't HAVE to clear the system cache partition, just sometimes it might work better if you do for some reason

3) Open app and click PARTIAL_WAKELOCK
4) Go into the settings of the app and check off START ON STARTUP or something like that.

5) Hopefully enjoy

Kitty Caine
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you! 

HelpNeededTech
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Kitty Caine wrote:

Thank you! 

You're welcome. Also, I just got off the phone with Samsung and of course what they said contradicts everything I'm reading here. They wont acknowledge the issue and they wont acknowledge an update that's said to be rolling out right now. They claim there are no updates in progress, yet that is not what I'm reading on many sites such as this one... https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-galaxy-s8-galaxy-s8-new-update-fixes-bluetooth-connect...
It doesn't talk much about the SD card in this article, but the update is said to include SD card fixes if you look at a picture of it.
Found another article that does include an improvement to SD card
https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2017/05/samsung-galaxy-s8-software-update-addresses-bluetooth-i...

In another from Phonearena "For the time being, the update has been spotted in the United Arab Emirates, but it's likely to spread to more countries in the coming weeks."
So...I guess hold tight everyone!