Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Wardak96
Asteroid

Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I recently acquired the Samsung Galaxy S8 early. I'm loving the phone so far, except for one little problem. At random times all of my content on my SD card will just disappear for a short time then come back (Pictures, videos, and apps stored on SD card). This is especially annoying when you have Apps put on your SD card and you can't access them for up to 30 seconds. Now I don't believe it has to do with the SD card itself because when my content does disappear, there is no notification saying, "SD card removed," and I really hope this doesn't have anything to do with the phones hardware, because I love this phone. Anyway, sorry for the long post, please help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supernova

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, Guys. I just wanted to jump back in here to clarify some information.
First, please keep in mind that our team here has limited support on international and/or foreign devices. The regional teams dedicated to those models may have further insight on the matter.
Also for those of you using older SD cards experiencing this problem, your card will corrupt with time from all of the read and writes on it.
I strongly encourage everyone to back up all of your data and wipe your cache partition.
After that, either reformat your SD card, or try working with a new card completely.
This issue has been addressed in a previous software update.
I hope this information is useful and apologize if these steps seem redundant.
Thank you all for joining in the conversation to help out the Community! 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

679 REPLIES 679
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm wondering if it's the actual card itself though and not the tray it's resting in. Is this a brand new SD card as well, or is this a previous one you already owned? Either way, I'd suggest once you're able to, get all those pictures/data backed up and saved wherever you'd like. Then give the SD Card a nice formatting, especially with it being a new phone and all. You should be prompted to format it when plugging it into your computer, let me know if you need more detailed instruction though.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Wardak96
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Well, it's sort of new I bought it for my old phone just before I got the GS8. I'll give formatting a try and let you know.
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you. If a post stand out to you, perhaps you could give that post a star to show other community members they were able to assist or was relevant to you.

Wardak96
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, bad news. I formatted the SD card, updated, and restarted my phone. It still did the same thing. All of the content on my SD card was inaccessible for a few seconds and came back. What is my next course of action?

Wildcard30
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would try a new sd card I mean brand new just get a cheap 16gb card and see if you have the same issue at least that way you will know if it is the card or something else. 

Wardak96
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's what I was thinking. I'll bring another update once I do that.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, I was going to suggest the same. Since it's an older card all around, the newer device just may not be fully compatible with it, since it uses newer hardware.

useriU2A0mCoFV
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the exact same issue.  It is a high quality SD card as well.  Is there a recommended brand of SD card that works better than others on the S8?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I been having this issue since I got the phone. I have the s8+. Several times a day the sd card unmounts on it's own and at times I would get a notification (see pic attached). I spoke with a samsung rep via samsung chat and the rep didn't have any solution for me. I kept telling him that this is a wide spread issue. I even sent him a link of all the forums talking about it and he said he is not allowed to check third party websites. He even went as far as saying this issue is not in any samsung forums which is why it has not been addressed. Well...IM IN A SAMSUNG FORUM NOW...WILL THIS FINALLY GET ADDRESSED? I really don't wanna have to swap out this phone with another one. I went through with that twice with the note 7 and I am not going through that again. This seems like a software issue that can easily be fixed with an update. So please samsung...fix this.