cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blkflame06
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 SD Card Problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem. The SD card shipped with the phone was not recognized by the phone or my computer. I used the SD card from my Galaxy 5 which was recognized for about a day. I accessed the information a day after installation and  then later the card was missing. The phone could not read it, suggested that next time I unmount etc. This morning there was a software install, and the SD Card was again recognized.

I am not a fan of the placement of the slot in this phone. Using the Galaxy S8+, preordered from Samsung website.

I have the same problem. The SD card shipped with the phone was not recognized by the phone or my computer. I used the SD card from my Galaxy 5 which was recognized for about a day. I accessed the information a day after installation and  then later the card was missing. The phone could not read it, suggested that next time I unmount etc. This morning there was a software install, and the SD Card was again recognized.

I am not a fan of the placement of the slot in this phone. Using the Galaxy S8+, preordered from Samsung website.

user4ZfZRWWj6j
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I truly hope you have some influence with the Samsung problem solvers to get their attention about this. I am having these same problems, too. Before I was aware of how widespread this problem is, I spent many days and hours trying to resolve it myself. I can tell you, I do not believe this is an SD card issue. If it is a hardware issue, it surely is with the phone itself. Hopefully it ends up being a solveable software issue which can be corrected with an OTA update.

Here's an abreviated look at my problem and troubleshooting history:

Got my new S8 phone and Samsung EVO Pro Select 128gb SD card.

Set up the new phone and Smart Switched all my stuff from my S7.

Phone kept randomly locking up and restarting. Other times, the SD card would just unmount or not show up during the restart.

At this point, I thought maybe it had something to do with compatibility issues from older apps or software from the S7, so I did a factory reset and complete format of the SD card (both a complete format and then again while mounted in the phone). I next did a complete "naked" install from trusted original sources (Google Play Store, Samsung Apps Store). Still had the same problems.

Now I'm thinking "bad phone". Called Verizon and got a replacement exchange. Also, returned the SD card to Amazon for replacement.

2 days later, I try it again "naked" with the new phone and card...same results.

Now I'm thinking "SD" card, so I try 3 different brand name cards in 3 different capacities that were known to be good. Again...same results.

Next, I removed the SD card and did another factory reset. This time, I only loaded apps on internal storage (never put the SD card in the phone).

NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER! 2 days later and still no issues, no spontaneous restarts.

Next, I put a 256gb SD card in the phone, formatted it, and didn't load angthing on it to see what would happen. Guess what? Problem returns.

There are a lot of people out there that have a lot of time and money invested in these flagship phones. Many are probably unaware of all that's going on and are frustrated like I am. This needs to be fixed!

Hope this helps.

- One Aggravated S8 Owner

user4V1WJlY3X0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought new dual SIM S8+ and formatted 128gb Samsung microSD card in laptop. Then put card in phone. File transfers kept failing through direct transfer via Windows Explorer and Samsung Kies. Tried formatting SD card in phone and it seemed to work ok, although photo folder transfers caused problems so left them in phone storage. All was well for 5 months, then phone stopped recognising card and when I took it out and placed in laptop, got 'SD card requires formatting before use message'!

I too believe this is a phone firmware issue. How can an SD card be unformatted.... !?

userWzn6Vdld3N
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

your proposed "solution", does not work, mine freezes at 20% formatting.  Then, when I plug the device into my laptop, it recognizes the card until I try to create any folders, etc.  There is also a security issue with the card I placed into the device from my previous phone.  It would not allow me to install my corporate email as native on S8.  Also, I think if there is previously encrypted data on card i.e. Google Play Music, there must be some sort of security associated with encrypted programs where you cannot delete/ format the cards in the device.  I'm so happy that we're all able to be your bug/ fix crew!  

userjGqr5TJCvq
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the latest AQF7 update on my S8+ and may problems began about two or three weeks ago during one of these updates.  Since then, I have had nothing but SD card problems.  As of this morning (last 12 hours) I've had 1208 SD card ejections.  Something was broken in these updates, certainly NOT fixed.

Seanpaul
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm on AT&T with the AQF7 build, but my problems didn't start until 3 or 4 days ago. I only use my sd card for media files and it  has been working perfectly.  Now it's showing as corrupted even though it works in other phones and in my pc. The phone also will not format the card either although it claims to do so successfully. 

I've even tried factory resetting the phone with no luck.  Guess I'm stuck until the next update. 

Linony
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It could be how the SD card is mounted in that flimsy "tray!"

userUV1YipcKeo
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I've been having the same problem with my s8+. I had this problem with the first sd card i purchased so I returned the sd card. I purchased another one and it's doing the same thing. Has there been an issue with the note 8, and if not could I replace this s8+ for the note 8 at no extra charge? Or will Samsung have a recall?

Screenshot_20171101-092219.pngUploaded from community android app.

useruiKG9fs50U
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The Note 8 is having the same issues.  I am starting to REGRET getting it.  My old Note4 was super.  This one is the biggest POS that I have had.

Applelific51881
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did not have any issues untill I downloaded the Oreo Update on my S8. Phone restarted randomly shortly after update and listed SD card corrupted. Must format. I stopped it immediately and Now it list as not found. Tried taking it out and inserting and no luck. Says SD card not mounted. This is a Samsung 256GB card. Really upset.  In thinking this must be a software issue.