JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 07-01-2020 07:56 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userayaRpchZh1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have been following this forum for the past year and this is my first post.  

My S-8 is about a year and a half old.  About 10 months ago I changed my home router and since then I have had all types of trouble connecting my S-8 to my home wifi.  At work and most anyplace else- I've had no problems connecting.  I have tried every solution in this forum multiple times and nothing has given me a fix.  That darn exclamation point kept coming up.  Once in a while I would connect but most of the time it wouldn't and I would have to turn my phone on and off 5+ times and pray to get wifi on my S-8.  

Last week I received an update to my S-8 and was very hopeful that samsung had a fix but no fix was seen.  I again tried some of the recommended methods to fix the wifi connection.  I started the phone in safe mode, which never worked before, and the wifi worked.  I deleted every extra app that I had hoping for success.  It seemed to be successful but then it started all over again.  My keboard changed to the default "samsung" keyboard and my wifi connected perfectly.  I have been using the Swift Key beta keyboard for several years.  It had the best features for me.  Ever since switching to the samsung keyboard- I haven't had one problem with connection to wifi.  5 days straight and no problems with connection.  In the past year- it hasn't connected for more than one day straight.  I think I have fixed my problem.  I just wanted to put it out there in case it might help somebody else.

0 Likes
userN6ptSstymg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the Galaxy S10 + and using it with my Orbi setup at home.

I am having the same problem with wifi connection drop.  I also get an exclamation sign next to the wifi on the status bar.

0 Likes
userReZaEVe3z4
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've been battling with wifi dropouts for the past couple of weeks. I've been researching all night and trying all but a reset to no avail. After watching numerous speedtest tests fail in seconds, i realized i had an issue that wasn't router related. 

Your swiftkey fix has at least temporarily worked for me. I, too, have used swiftkey for years over three Galaxy models and it's been great, but definitely appears to be conflicting with something right now. I don't like that this could be the solution to my problem, but at least it's a solution. Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to follow up with my experience. 

0 Likes
StingerKun
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same issue with a Galaxy S9. From time to time I get the "!" and most of the times I have to deactivate and reactivate the wifi to solve it. I haven't seen this issue to appear while connected to the 2.4 GHz network, only to the 5 GHz one.

This is getting really frustrating.

I even ended up changing the router the ISP gave me, but seems like the problem persist.

0 Likes
SamsungS8fan
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Check with your provider to make sure it isn't your wifi that's problematic

0 Likes
useruzFdP82xn1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem with samsung s8

0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@useruzFdP82xn1 What troubleshooting steps have you tried in regards to your issue?

0 Likes
Toretto81
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had this issue before alot

0 Likes
userzlwPPSekuq
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Samsung needs to get this sorted out now. I've been having this happen the last couple of months and I have been vigilant to make sure nothing was being downloaded while not connected to wifi. I believe the last Jan 20th update happened while wifi was disconnected and so now I am over my data limit. So where do I send the bill Samsung?

I've tried all the various fixes recommended in this thread and frankly, I've had enough. This is Samsung's issue and they need to get it taken care of rather than having their users jump through ridiculous hoops. Supposedly there has been an update for this issue released in various Asian markets......so maybe put in a little overtime and get it out to the rest of us. I'm tired of this S8 costing me money because Samsung can't get their act together.

0 Likes
Samsung_qgVANmE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Having this issue with my Samsung Note 9. This started when I was on Android 8 Oreo and persists even on Android 10. I have tried allocating a fixed IP to my Note 9 and this still doesn't fix the issue of always having the exclamation mark eventually when connected. Any other ideas? This device is the only one that has problems. My old phone and all my family's devices work just fine.

0 Likes