JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 07-31-2017 06:11 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userSdmBkww8Dq
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having the same issue. Is Samsung acknowledging this yet? Not being able to use the 5 gHz band reliably on S8 devices strikes me as a major issue. It makes streaming over WiFi consistently impossible. I saw a moderator  responded but nothing else. 

Shame because this is an excellent device otherwise. 2.4 gHz doesn't seem to drop Internet access for me. Using unlocked regular S8 with AT&T.

0 Likes
userEdapYNllY0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having the same problem, S8 on Sprint, strangely enough mine is with my 2.4ghz network. 5ghz is working fine, but with 2.4ghz I'm having the exact same issues you all are reporting. I'm extremely frustrated, especially since my work wi-fi is 2.4ghz only, meaning I'm on data the entire time I'm at work if I want a consistent signal. Really thinking about switching to iPhone, since I had other issues with my S7 and took a chance on the S8. 

0 Likes
userShhgMpubzV
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had Windows phones for the last few years and loved the OS, but MS is letting that platform die so I decided to move to Android and bought the over hyped S8. Now, I'm experiencing the same issue as all of you. On Xfinity (Verizon) Mobile with new S8. I'm also running an Orbi system in the house and none of my other 15 devices have an issue. I did notice that when I go into Samsung diagnostics and run speed tests, the issue NEVER occurs, but it drops all the time with the Speedtest app. This is definately a software issue and Samsung needs to put out a fix immediately. 

0 Likes
userdaeMG9jGN3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Agreed, this is a software issue I posted early on in this thread with my setup. I'm on a s8+ with att, north America.  A security update came out about a week ago which installed and the problem is much less frequent than before, but it still occurs.

There were certain apps, especially games,  that seemed to trigger this problem.  That is why i think this is software. The problem has lessened now but still appears. 

I'm not sold on the 5ghz and 2.4ghz distinction as the issue. My office only has 2.4 (my home has both) and the problem occurred there as well.

0 Likes
suXor
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same here.  Noticed with the last update for the VZ GS8+.  Exclamation point randomly appears and no connection.  No other devices (Samsung and others) having this issue.

0 Likes
useruAHna5vXuO
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am ave the same issues with my Verizon S8+. Intermittently shows an exclamaition point on the WiFi symbol in the top status bar and shows "no internet is not available" when I click on my WiFi settings. My Note 4 and Note 5 don't seem to have any issue. I've tried the following:

Turned the phone off/on

Reset my wifi connections
Factory reset my phone
Reset my router
Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
Set up static IP address

I also changed my home router to only use 2.4 Ghz. This seemed to help initially but I see randomly run into these issues.

I contacted Verizon and they said to go back to the vendor (Bestbuy) to get a replacement phone since this was brand new out of box. I called Bestbuy and they are sending a replacement though I'm not sure if I will see the same issues based on the threads I've read.

Anyone else have an update when Samsung might fix this issue?
0 Likes
Sorven
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

All, I thought I would share a workaround that worked for me with my ORBI router & Satellite (YMMV). It doesn't fix the Samsung software bug for GS8 that started for me after the 1st OTA July update on T-Mobile (and still a bug as of 2nd July OTA update).

I noticed that while my GS8 would keep disconnecting from my main network, I did not get disconnected when connected to my "Guest" network. So for those that just need wifi internet access without need of anything else on the network, consider trying this.

However, because I needed access to my network devices, I've enabled the ORBI setting "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" under Basic / Guest Network in router menu. This has allowed me to do everything I would normally do on my main wifi network, without all of the disconnects.

HOWEVER, this is only advised if you do not use the guest network for, well, guests. They would have access to the full network with this.

I hope this might help a few while we wait for Samsung to <hopefully> fix this bug in the GS8.

userllRiqX4uto
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm having this issue, as well. Right after T-Mobile update last weekend. I've factory reset the phone. No other member of my household has an S8 thus no other person in the house has this problem. 

As far as I can tell, this seems to be a problem with dual band devices. I have a TP-Link Deco device with three AP's around the house. At work, we have 5GHz only and it seems to work. I also think it may have a lot to do with TCP vs UDP. This only really happens when streaming.  Facebook messenger calls and Nest cams.

Really hope Samsung fixes this. I can't use my own Wi-Fi and it's killing me. There needs to be an emergency update for this.  

0 Likes
userzAQBIyjqXc
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Just got the Verizon July update and am now having this exact problem with my Galaxy S8+.

I have an ORBI as well..  Iphones have no issues, so it's definitely something wonky with the S8 firmware.

I'll try disabling the 2.4GHz band and see if I have the issue with the 5GHz band only.

----

Update:  I disabled the SSID broadcast for the 2.4GHz band on the Orbi.

I then forgot my home wifi network on my phone. then reconnected to the WiFi -- this time to the 5GHz only broadcast.  So far, no disconnects or the dreaded exclamation mark next to the Wireless indicator.

Update 2:  Problem came back.  Seems there is nothing we can do, have to wait for Samsung I guess.

0 Likes
userVr4mINRurW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Same problem after Verizon July security update, and I've only noticed problem when connected to my Orbi. What a coincidence.

Wonder if they rushed out an update to address the vulnerability of the Broadcom WiFi chip to worm attacks? Thought GS8 is one of the impacted devices. Maybe too rushed for comprehensive regression testing perhaps???
0 Likes