JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 10-04-2017 07:09 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userj3iRj8Gpdb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same issue here, new S8

0 Likes
Uptownmike14
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This happens to me on my Xfinity router. On my 5ghz but it sometimes happens on the 2.4

0 Likes
user7YAcMZWgVK
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What seems to have worked for me is go in to Settings, Connections, WiFi, Advanced.  Turn off all the features on this page.  My "Keep Wifi on durring sleep" is set to "allways".  

Galaxy S8+ on AT&T,  Android 7.0,  Samsung Experiance 8.1,  Security patch 08-01-17,  MDF, v3.0 Release 1, WLAN v1.0, Release 1

UPDATE:  I went back in and turned on just "Smart Network Switch"  to "Normal Switching".  I left aggressive switching off and I still appear to be ok.

UPDATE:  The fix didnt last.  As soon as I stated moving between locations the problem returned.  I turned the Smart Network Switch" back off but it still failed however It is less frequent with ALL of the options on the Advanced page turned off. 

0 Likes
userdsuR8KIPrE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have never had such a bad wifi reception as I have now with my Galaxy s8+(Verizon with the latest firmware),I did a factory reset network setting reset nothing helps me. I can't connect to most of the public wifi hotspots. or the internet not available or it connected and after 1 minute of use, there is a ! sign next to wifi icon or it can't find wifi network at all. at the same time, my pixel xl can connect perfectly and stable. what can I do in this cases? is it possible to claim a return? because as I see there is no fix for this issue. In this point, my phone is useless cose I can't use it in my gym

0 Likes
CitizenHaax
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Verizon Galaxy S8+

I posted my issue and resolution previously that entailed disabling Samsung Smart Switch.

Since then, it has been runnging fine for many weeks. Also, I received a Verizon OTA Update, still fine. Recently, I had the issue occur at a local libray that I frequent and I have never experienced theres.

SmartSwitch was not enabled so I did this to fix it. 

I have developer option turned on. Google how to enable it.

> Settings
 >> Developer Options
   >>> Running Services

Force Stop Samsung+

- The Wifi connection immediately changed from "Internet may not be available" to the normal "Connected".

I will try it on all other incidents when they occur.

userJRKQ8ymIh6
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have had the issues as well. However, mine is corrected by disabling Bluetooth.  I tried everything (updates, deleting apps, reseting phone) but once i disabled bluetooth it worked. If i turn bluetooth back on, wifi will cut out within the hour.

0 Likes
userN9cuxkduJr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I purchased 2 Samsung S8's and took them back, and I know the wifi problem has existed from day one! Why doesn't Samsung fix this? My theory(s) is/are:

1. Samsung is in collusion with cell providers to run a bill up for those who do not have unlimited service.

2.  Samsung does not care

3. They do not know how to fix the problem

OR

4. There is no fix

0 Likes
user8p4sfzgItb
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have had this problem ever since I purchased this S8.  My home wifi is from AT&T ... my S8 sometimes connects  just fine, but other times, not at all.  When it's not connected, I get an exclamation mark at the top, and a statement that "internet may not be available."  But, every computer I have has no problem connecting to the same wifi (even when my S8 can't). 

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have tried various workarounds for this problem. I also thought a Verizon OTA update had this resolved, but overtime, all have failed. Recently, I have focused on the Smart Switch posts. I discovered that I had two identically named Smart Switch apps listed in settings - one was large and had an uninstall button, the other was small and has only a force stop. I unistalled the larger version. It's only been a day, but so far, all my issues have disappeared. I can even walk around my house switching between wi-fi bands and mesh access points without Verizon dropping my calls.

0 Likes
bclee119
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I started using att smart wifi and my home wifi with s8 began to turn off after 20 minutes or so.  When I disabled "ATT Smart Wifi" my phone remained connected to my home wifi.

0 Likes