JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 11-20-2017 10:29 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userDSLJ1foKIA
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Same exact issue with same hardware. S8 with a Google Onhub router.
0 Likes
Husl4it
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
turn off smart connect, had same issue. your service is connecting to your data an turning off wifi when it's a weak signal..
0 Likes
Husl4it
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
turn off smart network switch, the phone is looking for a better connection so it's using ur data instead of the wifi.. this will correct the problem..
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones
same here. hope this gets resolved. samsung, you better fix this for selling us a defective device.
0 Likes
MsMigh-Ty
Captain
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have this same prob and I was calling my internet provider today over it. I will hold off on that and read for a fix here
0 Likes
userXlsBxOkb6z
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I tried everything that's in this thread To try to solve this wifi issue.None of it works Not all Wi-Fi routers are the same.IMO, I think it's a design flaw in the Samsung Galaxy S8 And I know a lot of you agree with this .Somehow they get a rig where if you move a few feet from your router it disconnects So you have to use your data.It's all about the money .
0 Likes
CitizenHaax
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had an issue many months back which have since stayed resolved. Whatever changes I did or firmware came through since then has done the job. It very rarely happens to me anymore (public library). Maybe once every six weeks and it doesn't happen at home anymore. 

In light of that, I would suggest we start trying to send a basic set of data over to help each diagnose the issue. It can't hurt, right?

I will start the initial list:

Phone Info
Retail: Samsung S8+
Model: SM-G9FFU
Build: NRD90M.G955USQU1QK3
Hardware version: REV1.0

Celluar:
Carrier: Verizon
Network Mode: Global

Wireless Settings
Show WiFi Popup - ON
Smart Network Switch - OFF
Wi-Fi notifications - ON
HotSpot - OFF
Keep Wi-Fi on during Sleep - Always
Wi-Fi Control History - Removed all

Wireless area notes: 
I actively remove wireless networks that require constant sign in. For instance, in my area, Xfinity/Comcast has lots of hotspots all over the place. In fact, with their equipment every home automatically advertises an Xfinity Hotspot. You have to proactively go to your online account to disable it. So if I keep the connection saved it will constantly try to connect to one as I roam around the area. Since WiFi is preferred over Celluar, the phone can be aggressive trying to connect to networks it has connected to previously. Also, I do not use WPS.

Home Network
Router: Asus RT-AC68U
Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.382.18547
Wireless Band: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz enabled
WPS: No WPS
SSID: Both advertised and non-advertised SSIDs
IP Address: Auto-assigned

Other Apps
Samsung Switch - Uninstalled
Samsung + - Uninstalled
Side Sync - Uninstalled

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My S8 has been fairly stable since going to a static IP. However, my old S6 just received an OTA from Verizon, and you guessed it, now it's infected too. It's interesting that the static IP workaround has no effect on the S6 problem but using the old Guest Network workaround from early on in this thread is working. I assume that at some point, I will have to switch workarounds for the S6 like I had to do on the S8. The saga continues...

0 Likes
usersxX2hLjPJm
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Funny that this forum says "resolved" b/c it's definitely still happening!!!

So I have a Samsung S6. There was a work around mentioned about the guest network... how can i find that?

user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The first reference to the "Guest" workaround was by Sorven in this thread on 7/30/2017. Just realize that at some point after an OTA update, it will stop working and then you have to switch to the "Static" IP workaround, which to this day, is still working quite well for me.

0 Likes