JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 01-12-2018 08:50 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It has been a frustrating year (almost) with the S8 but IMHO, still worth it. The user who posted about turning off Enhanced LTE is onto something, but you have to go even further. I believe the S8 does not handle switching IP addresses between our carrier's mobile data network and some of our more complex home Wi-Fi systems. To avoid this switch, when at your Wi-Fi location, put the S8 in Airplane mode, then re-enable Wi-Fi with a static IP address (not DHCP). Using my carrier's Wi-Fi enabled calling, I move from one mesh satellite to another without calls being dropped or Wi-Fi disconnects. Of course, when you leave your Wi-Fi location, turn off Airplane mode or you will be back in the stone age.

0 Likes
userw1ne7OTaBR
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I had this issue. Spent 4 hours online,  w xfinity and w Verizon to no avail.  I accidentally found this app and saw the wifi settings had 2 blocked networks.  Unblocked and voila! It works!

usercWHIX6vgL8
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

OMG! This exact issue was causing the problem for My wife's phone Samsung S6. I never thought it would be Orbi. I finally reset my wife's phone, only to know that it is the issue with Orbi.

0 Likes
userjM3MlLRab2
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This solved my issue as well. No idea how/why my home and work Wifi networks would be blocked by this Verizon app but they were. Turned off Wifi security and voila everything was good to go. Unbelievable...

mrbyte
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This worked!!!(The Verizon Privacy and Security App)  Thank you so much.  Verizon software was disconnecting me from my own 2.4ghz network.  Wow.  unbelievable.

mrbyte
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Just to clarify.  This is the first thing you should check.   Search for Verizon security and privacy app and find the blocked networks in the app. You should find your home network in there. Delete the block and it will work. 

if this is your problem, none of the other solutions posted will work.  Verizon software had my home SSID blocked for the 2.4ghz network.   Deleting the block worked instantly.  Good luck.  This is the reason the guest network worked and the home network would not work.  Guest name was not blocked. 

182sNwB9C6qjGMC9xN4NEseVhNM1gXHeLo

Blkparader
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@mrbytewrote:

Just to clarify.  This is the first thing you should check.   Search for Verizon security and privacy app and find the blocked networks in the app. You should find your home network in there. Delete the block and it will work. 

if this is your problem, none of the other solutions posted will work.  Verizon software had my home SSID blocked for the 2.4ghz network.   Deleting the block worked instantly.  Good luck.  This is the reason the guest network worked and the home network would not work.  Guest name was not blocked. 

182sNwB9C6qjGMC9xN4NEseVhNM1gXHeLo

Didn't see my home network on list, but there WERE 2 blocked that I didn't recognize. I cleared whole thing & I haven't been disconnected since!! THANK YOU!!! 😁😁😎😎

0 Likes
user9hvqTLmDpS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Never used the Verizon Security and Privacy App. But was dropping wifi every few min. so I checked this and started it. No saved networks whatsoever were in the block/allowed list, so this isnt the fix.

0 Likes
CitizenHaax
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It may be other apps in the Wifi Control History that is causing the issue. Wifi Control History area is letting you know which apps have manipulated your wifi connections. Check the following:

> WiFi settings 
 >> Three Dots top right
   >>> Advanced 
     >>>> Wifi Control History

I had two apps in the history.

Verizon Support and Protection 
Samsung Smart Switch - Force Disable -- For me, this one worked. The Wifi connection immediately changed from "Internet may not be available" to the normal "Connected".

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy S Phones

For me everything is fixed with the Android 8.0 upgrade. Seamlessly roaming between access points now!

0 Likes