JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 01-22-2018 04:26 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Do you have a problem connecting to Wi-Fi if your carrier data is disabled? 

0 Likes
HJR2000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi Michelle, 

Given the number of people that this issue is affecting and the damage you're doing to Samsung brand loyalty by not fixing it, whether things work ok or not with the carrier data disabled is neither here nor there. 

It is your responsibility to diagnose this issue, not ours. 

It is the responsibility of Samsung to implement a fix, and quickly. 

Wait await your response with interest!

0 Likes
userFsdYiIvGmQ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is not a solution !

if a given wifi network uses a different ip range for the dhcp settings, your phone will not get an address, nor will the fixed ip work !

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

True. If you don't have access to the router, such as at a coffee shop or at work, you would have to rely upon DHCP. I have not tested if the Airplane mode workaround obviates the need for the Static IP, as I only use Wi-Fi which is under my control. Perhapps someone could test Airplane mode in a DHCP setting.

0 Likes
uservqZlDclD9G
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've just got a new s8 last week, and have been experiencing the same issues with wifi disconnecting and reconnecting at home, sometimes when using the device, sometimes when the device is sleeping. If wifi drops during device use, it reconnects almsot immediately. However, if the wifi drops during device sleep (I can see it is not connected on my router), the system appears not to realise the wifi has disconnected, and does not switch over to data, resulting in all web-based notifications not coming through (messages and calls still work). Once I wake the device (by pressing the power button), the wifi will start reconnecting again.

I have a single access point with 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wifi enabled on the same SSID, with band steering enabled, which I suspected to be the problem. Looking at my router connections, the device appeared to be jumping to and from two networks (it connects to the 5Ghz network with an average RSSI of about -80dB).

Solution (sorta): I tried seperating the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks and connecting my phone only to the 5Ghz one, and so far it has managed to stay connected without dropping a single time.

So yeah, it appears the s8 is unable to handle/conflicts with wifi configurations like mine. Fortunately I have access to the router and am able to change the network to suit the phone, but that really shouldn't be the solution. Hopefully there's a software fix soon.. I expected better reliability from a Samsung flagship...

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

In addition to whatever workarounds you find the most stable in your environment, I ran across one that may sound ridiculous but really has a tremendous effect on my S8. Whenever I load a Wi-Fi analyzer or router control app, I find that my S8 has many disconnects. Apparently, trying to access all the SSIDs in the neighborhood simultaneously triggers the issue. To remedy this, you not only have to stop using the apps, but you have to unload them as they may have latent effects and then restart your phone.

0 Likes
userN9cuxkduJr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Tricks, fixes, workarounds!!!!! Bottom line; This is a Samsung problem to "fix" and not only does Samsung ignore the problem, the deny the problem exists!!!!!! Why would a person spend ~$800 buying a product they have to make work? If you bought an $800 Television that did not get a picture, what would you do? 

userDHoCaXGnNI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Which apps do you mean?
0 Likes
userJd7ek0Wd5q
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I too noticed the need to reset Wi-Fi connection on phone when returning home inorder to reconnect. I did notice the 2.4ghz band has much better range then the 5ghz band. Just an fyi.

0 Likes
Blkparader
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

All well & good that this fixed the issue. But you never explained HOW  changed that setting. Please be more explanatory?

0 Likes