JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 02-14-2018 06:48 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userfBYO9hIwPx
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same issue with my Google WiFi AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi router.  I have two homes and the Galaxy S8 works fine in one with the router there.  I have an iPhone and my spouse the Galaxy S7 -- neither of those has the problem.

I also find that sometimes when I move to another router on the system (it is three routers and a mesh for the house) that it will connect.

When I called Verizon they said that the phone would only connect to the Internet if you used either WiFi or Data, but not both.  Not true.  

I ended up calling Samsung who had me transfer my data to my computer and then after trying all your steps, transferring it back to the phone.  The only problem was that the data was all empty folders so I lost everything.

0 Likes
usere1xAhbfFbJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My S8 was doing fine until some update occurred.  Then I got this message.  I kind of ignored it for a few months and spent the last few days trying to figure it out.

At home I have a LinkSys WRT1900AC which has 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, and a guest network all with different SSIDs.  None of the suggestions that were posted here really solved the issue, but they did lead me to a solution for my own network.

1) When looking at the network details in my phone's wifi, I saw that it was giving me the typical IP style of 192.168.1.xxx and was saying that the router manager was at 192 .168.100.1  This was using the auto-assigned IP and I thought it odd that the phone IP was .1.xxx and the router was .100.1

2) Went to my PC and did IPConfig at the command prompt and was getting an IP similar to 10.48.164.xxx with a similar gateway which looked nothing like what I consider a typical IP schema.

3) Tried to give myself a static IP using the IP schema of the PC, but that didn't work.

4) (The solution) On my phone, I "forgot" my two wifi networks, then using the LinkSys app I turned on the WPS and and set the phone to connect.  The 5Ghz connected automatically and assinged the phone an IP schema similar to that of the PC and I haven't had an issue with it in 24 hours.  The 2.4 Ghz (using WPS) still required me to enter the password, but with the WPS active, it assigned the correct IP schema to my phone as well.

Side note: This only worked on my own router and I still have problems keeping wifi anywhere else.

0 Likes
SuperHeavy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Apologies if Im repeating any one.

But on my wifes S8 I went into advanced wifi settings and deleted all known and remembered wifi networks.

I made sure no wifi networks had been remembered by the S8 phone.

Im guessing these were carried over when using Samsung Smart Switch.

I  then connected the S8 to our router using WPS push button method.

So far all good.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Ramlethal
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Was having this issue as well,

the internet speed should be around 12Mbps.

But my S8 really struggling to reach that speed.

Have been trying all the suggestions like :

• Updated the S8 to the latest software update (not having the Oreo update yet)
  • Toggle on/off wifi
  • Restarting + Resetting the router
  • Changing to Static IP on phone
  • Wipe Cache
  • Toggle off Bluetooth scanning on Location
  • Even went as far as toggling off wifi scanning on Location

In the end, the issue was solved by actually turning off the Bluetooth.

(I always had my Bluetooth switched on due to the connection with my smartwatch or with my car's Bluetooth)

It goes up 0.03Mbps to 12 without any problem...

This is simply ridiculous, never had this kind of problem on any of older iOS or Android devices that I have owned before...

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

In addition to improving WiFi speed, it appears that turning Bluetooth off also resolves the exclamation point / internet may not be available issues. I'm hoping this all gets resolved in Android 8.

0 Likes
usergjZV9Sgs0S
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This solved my issue permanently:

"Go to SETTINGS》WIFI》SSID》MANGE NETWORK》change the IP SETTINGS to STATIC》then change the DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 hit save and you are good to go." Make sure to type 8.8.8.8 don't leave it as it is (gray numbers).

I hope it helps...

user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I looked at the S8’s IP address in the router and found a DHCP issued address which was different from the static IP the S8 thought it had. How does that even work at all? I followed the recommendation of the previous post to remain static but adjusted the IP in the S8’s configuration to the IP address the router thought it had. I took the additional step of matching the MAC address of the S8 to that IP in the router, so DHCP should always reissue that IP address to the S8. So far, so good…

0 Likes
usersjkHKJ0Hj4
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Question is how if i gone to some places with no access to the modem or the WPS key? instead asking the wi fi password should i ask for their modem also? and reconfigure their modem at each coffee shop that i visited?

this is retard on some next level. i go back using my old asus phone and its works well (its only cost 200 dollars samsung is 800 $ )

0 Likes
Alexey Meshkov
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My wife's S8 bought in January at one of the official stores in Russia has the same issue. Independently of router and place. All cumulative updates settled to phone and issue appeared.

I stuck at page 12 of this thread because I read every post here with maximum of attention but only when I have free time. So... okay I think that all words that I wanted to say can just repeat all from above.

But today the new SOFTWARE UPDATE has came to her device.

Update says that WiFi, Bluetooth and something else was fixed.

Will see... Don't despair, friends! I believe in Samsung as many of you.

- Alexey Meshkov

Alexey Meshkov
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After a couple of days after the firmware update issue has came again. This is not a fix.
Sad but true.