JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 03-19-2018 11:18 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for the info on the S9. I was about to purchase one to finally cure this, but I guess I'll save my money. I was also hoping that Android 8.0 (Oreo) would solve this, but alas, it is only changed the workaround somewhat. With Oreo, I have found an improved situation as Dynamic IP is now usable as long as some app doesn't insist on bringing up the 4G data connection. My total workaround is now just to inhibit data over 4G. Settings > Connections > Data usage > Mobile data > Off. This makes WiFi very stable on the S8 Oreo but you do have to remember to switch mobile data back on when you go out of WiFi range.

I would not go to an iPhone either, although this problem is non-existant in the Apple world. I did toy with getting a Google Pixel, but I just can't give up the onboard headphone jack.

0 Likes
user9hvqTLmDpS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

not only is the s8 dropping wifi every 10 secs but the darn thing effs up on sending/receiving texts all over the place. prob similar issue. all kinds of "mms fail" stuff. the darn phone is driving me bonkers in what otherwise seems like a great phone.

0 Likes
SeanSkiVT
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

My brand new Galaxy S9 has both of these issues, WiFi goes to exclamation point and becomes unusable, and SMS messages constantly fail. My Pixel 1 with Oreo had none of these problems. This phone is total garbage. 

Hey Samsung, get your act together. Your software ALWAYS stinks. I had an S5 and S7, both of which had Touchwiz lag issues. I decided to give Samsung another shot with the S9 because the interface is so much faster and it still has a headphone jack, but these issues are a slap in the face. Do you guys not have a software QA process???

0 Likes
userRxVsf2UI3d
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
So what do I do if this is all a forigen language to me!?
0 Likes
userxL7NlASTgE
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Its funny how ZERO people were helped by the solution and that this thread has spun 26 pages since the "solution" without any moderator or mildly intelligent admin "un-solving" it. Oh and have the same problem. I bought my girlfriend a S8 as present and cant get it to connect to home network properly at all. I have a old note 3 which works np, she had a S6 before and it works np.

I was waiting for the S9+ or S9 Note later this year to buy but until Samsung first ackowledges the problem and then presents a fix or a progress update, I wont buy another Samsung phone or product.

0 Likes
userBDKZgTj57y
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

As long as US keeps buying them, they are going to keep ignoring it too. A little research and you will see Samsung has released "fixes" in Korea. Try this;

1. Power down your phone 2. Press the up volume keep, Bixby key and power keep simultaneously. When the Android robot appears on the screen release the keys. 3. Wait for another screen to open. 4. Use volume down key to highlight clear cache. Once that completed scroll back up to reboot and select. Your phone will reboot and you can reset wifi. Good luck, and Samsung will keep denying there is a problem. 

0 Likes
Blkparader
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userBDKZgTj57ywrote:

As long as US keeps buying them, they are going to keep ignoring it too. A little research and you will see Samsung has released "fixes" in Korea. Try this;

1. Power down your phone 2. Press the up volume keep, Bixby key and power keep simultaneously. When the Android robot appears on the screen release the keys. 3. Wait for another screen to open. 4. Use volume down key to highlight clear cache. Once that completed scroll back up to reboot and select. Your phone will reboot and you can reset wifi. Good luck, and Samsung will keep denying there is a problem. 

Cache clear didn't work for me. I found that Verizon app was blocking a Wi-Fi network (didn't list as my home network, just random letters & numbers) but I unblocked it & had ZERO issues for nearly a month. 

I recently deleted that "security app" & now I'm having issues even worse than before!

0 Likes
userOiO0myVwv5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

By by Samsung. Moving on to the iPhone x. I find it ridiculous I have to cut my wifi on and off several times a day just to keep it connected when my wife is on her iPhone 8 crusing along just fine. You got my money this time so I'm sure you could care less but never again. 

0 Likes
userFkT2cIS6BR
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey, I'm from Scotland and have been having the same issue, so it's seems to be a problem evergwhere. I've managed to solve my problem, the latest update had changed my IP Settings from static to DHCP, I just changed it back to static and I'm not having that issue at all, and web pages are loading a whole lot faster. 

Hopefully this helps.

0 Likes
usergzBVYyO8gg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So far this works fine for me! Thx a lot!

0 Likes