JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 04-22-2018 04:21 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userRxVsf2UI3d
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Please email me any new news, pentakarencostal@aol.com mark urgent.
0 Likes
usernPi0lHAOt5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Let me know as I know 20 other users with the same issues ..RIDICULOUS 

0 Likes
HJR2000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've had this issue with my S8 and Virgin Media (UK) Wi-Fi since a recent Android update. Major pain in the backside!

Thankfully, the suggestion of a previous poster works - namely, to use the 'Guest' 5Ghz connection that is available. The IP range is different to the standard IP range assigned to connections on the normal 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. 

Now I can surf at home in peace again without having to reconnect every 10 minutes.

I wish Samsung would get on this problem and sort it. There's clearly something about some routers that doesn't play well with Samsung's devices and I am sure they could reproduce the issue and solve it!

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What level of Android are you running? The Guest mode workaround was effective for me several updates ago. I am currently running Android 8.0.0 (Oreo) and at first was disappointed as it looked like the problem was present there too. However, about a day later I got a flood of app updates (about 50 updates) and I have not experenced any WiFi issues since then (almost one month now).

0 Likes
HJR2000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

I'm running 8.0.0 too. There was one big update about 1 month ago which caused the phone to cease to be able to use the standard 2.4 and 5Ghz connections properly.

Since then I'm not aware of any OS updates, just the usual occasional app update

0 Likes
userQ9OnTeTqEo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@HJR2000wrote:

I've had this issue with my S8 and Virgin Media (UK) Wi-Fi since a recent Android update. Major pain in the backside!

Thankfully, the suggestion of a previous poster works - namely, to use the 'Guest' 5Ghz connection that is available. The IP range is different to the standard IP range assigned to connections on the normal 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. 

Now I can surf at home in peace again without having to reconnect every 10 minutes.

I wish Samsung would get on this problem and sort it. There's clearly something about some routers that doesn't play well with Samsung's devices and I am sure they could reproduce the issue and solve it!

Yep, Virgin Media here too!  Glad It helped 😀

userY5FLug3n1U
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Any new updates on the issue?

I have tried everything, static, wiping cache partition, deleting all networks and re-adding them, airplane mode, etc etc... I'm in the UK, have got Virgin as well and even guest network is not helping 😞 my WiFi only on my S8 (no other devices affected) keeps dropping so often, I don't see the point of keeping it on at the moment... Had some sort of an update last week I think since then it became worse than ever, although started some time before then.

Surely there must be something that could fix it?!! 

0 Likes
HJR2000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It's a massive pain and it's making me want to switch from Samsung.
Has anyone tried raising a ticket with them yet? I am yet to phone Virgin but may do that next.
0 Likes
Blkparader
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've tried both my mobile phone service as well as Samsung & no one's been able to actually SOLVE the problem. Samsung claims they're not even aware there IS one. 🙄🤬

0 Likes
userxZHtw8ZX8x
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I got my phone early this month and got this issue. Tried everything and found this thread. I called today my operator who have awesome customer service (Im from Finland). Customer service contacted Samsung and they said there that Samsung is aware of this problem and they will fix it next update.  Problem is that they dont know when this update is coming...