JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 06-10-2018 10:01 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userRJzysUa0tG
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I apologize in advance if there may be a solution for this problem somewhere within these 32 pages of content, but thats just more than I can read through now.

I don't remember exactly when these WiFi problems started, but I use a PS4 and two Chromecast devices on the same router, but only my S8 has this problem. It used to be a minor problem, but I literally have to reboot my phone's WiFi connection 5+ times per day now.

I have always kept my phone up to date, and I am running the newest version available.

0 Likes
userRcKw0JVdbG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Exactly the same issues with my s8 T-Mobile. Issues with my xfinity home wifi. Same with 5ghz and 2.4ghz. 

Is there a solution now?

0 Likes
Tad in Tucson
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So has Samsung still not figured out the problem here? I have an S8+

All my other devices iPad, S8, Nexus 6P, no-name wireless adapter for PC, Samsung TV, DishTV receiver and even  including a Xiaomi vacubot imported from China work perfectly fine on my Asus router.

I've rebooted router, cleared app cache, data cache, turned off data switching...

Is it time for a replacement phone?

0 Likes
userN9cuxkduJr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Samsung claims there is no issue with the wifi, nevertheless, they addressed the issue in the Korean market, but have no plans to do same. You can replace it or continuebto support another defective Samsung Android. Personally, I love the iPhone 7 I replaced 2 Sansung S8 with. And after a demand letter pending bringibg a Z Causs of Action, received 100% refunds fir the phones. Boycott Samsung Phones in the US.

0 Likes
DarkChocolycc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I really don't think it's the carrier. Cuz my carrier is Sprint.  This has 2 do wit the phone itself. I've done all these things and tgen winder if we're misin up my phone.

They really need 2 find wat causes this and fix it.

0 Likes
userYd8vtk7XKl
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same issue.  But I think it primarily happens because the Samsung looses connection to the router at medium distances from the router (when other phones are still in range). I have another phone (Nexus 6P) which has Ok or weak WiFi connection but it keeps the connection on, instead of dropping it. But for some reason, once the Samsung S8 looses the connection, it does not recover from that state (even even moving the phone back close to the router). 

0 Likes
userie8Pr27jR3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Try the static IP address, go to your wifi connections, hold your finger on the connected wifi, it gives you option for manage network setting, then choose advanced option, and put your ip type on static, then use a new ip address (for example, if it's 192.168.1.3 change it to 192.168.1.100, just make sure that ip is empty in your router) and your gateway is your router address, first dns your router ip address, secon one 8.8.8.8 (google dns) and save it, turn your wifi off and on, it should get connected way more faster also, let's see Robot tongue

user0ijBZrAP7I
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

THIS HELPED ME A LOT! THANK YOU SO MUCH! 🙂 from Philippines 🙂

0 Likes
userCzwDYGlaAY
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thank you for sharing  this - it just helped me. Long may it last!

0 Likes
Hooligan03
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Try changing your Wifi security from WPA2 AES to TKIP. I did this an do not have the issue anymore. I think they have a bug in the phone software. TKIP is not a secure as AES but at least it works and I do not get the "!" at all anymore.

0 Likes