JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 10-19-2018 05:02 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
SamsungKim1
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Just to double check, have you updated your software recently?

0 Likes
Blkparader
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

On my phone everything is set to automatic for updates. Latest update was September 5th & it says everything is up to date. 

0 Likes
user92fVnTTyim
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'm experiencing the same or similar issues with my Galaxy J7 (J700T). I'm going to try turning OFF the Smart Network Switch and see if there's a problem with the assignment of the IP address by the router. Will post again if neither or both don't resolve the PITA WiFi problems. 

0 Likes
userbZ4syaZ3Gc
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I think I've fixed the issue (at least a workaround) using an S8 connecting to a Virgin Media Super hub 2. 

Login to your router 

Go into the advanced settings

Enable 5GHz First Guest wireless network. 

Choose an SSID - seems it must be of the form VM123456-5G. Where 123456 can be any 6 digits you like. 

Untick "enable SSID broadcast" and don't give the SSID to anyone else- ever. 

Choose Wpa2-PSK[AES]

Enter a nice long password 

Apply. 

Now on the S8:

Settings, connections, wifi. 

Add network.

Enter the SSID as the network name

Try connecting. I've been reliably connected to my home wifi for 3 days with no issues. Fingers crossed it holds. 

This "solution" is via trial and error and reading posts by others. 

Weirdly. It seems that the primary 5GHz network drops in and out all the time. Then the S8 doesn't auto-reconnect or at least tries too quickly. Or another device is bricking the connection when it reconnects- maybe Alexa?  A static IP did no good for me. 

cmtechnical
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This issue is NOT SOLVED. It has simply changed after the last update (Sept. 2018).

The difference now is, there is no exclamation mark next to the wifi, and the wifi IS connected at some low level. I am a tech with 30 years experience, and I have been examining this issue for months now...

Of course I have tried all the solutions offered: Toggle Wifi, Reset Connections, Cache Wipe, Full-Wipe.  Spent two hours on the phone with Verizon, and then Samsung in Korea! THE PROBLEM RETURNS. I have been carefully examing the condition of this issue via the app called: WiFi Monitor Pro. I believe it is very good and accurate. Excellent tool. What is interesting... when the phone denies wifi data to most all apps (such as Youtube, AccuWeather, Yi Home, etc.) this app still shows low grade Wifi activity. So, after the update, the S8+ stays connected to it's wifi at some LOW software level, but firewalls the apps from access to the wifi they need.

Everything looks fine when you look at the WiFi icon, but one check into any of the wifi intensive apps will tell you the true tale of the condition of your phone. In this state the phone will NOT switch over to 4G for app data, and as such, YOU WILL BE BLIND TO INCOMING GMAILs, TELEGRAM MESSAGES, etc. This is a serious issue.

So, the problem is most likely in a software issue, and probably a low to moderate level Android OS Wifi management issue. It might be solved with an additional dedicated wifi router added to your network for your phone's exclusive use - as I think the issue might be DHCP oriented (particularly if you are turning wifi devices on or off daily). Well, the dedicated new wifi router is my next test. 4 months of daily toggling the wifi on this new S8+.

This issue is not as bad as the exploding batteries, but SAMSUNG, PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!

HJR2000
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The lesson from this thread is that Samsung don't care about this issue. 

I'll be getting a different brand next time having had Samsung phones since the S2. 

Well done Samsung!

0 Likes
userxfBnSx2YtJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I too have this issue. I happens every day.

0 Likes
userMcEJ1Q5fci
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

spot on, issue only appeared for me after sep 2018 update. infuriating after buying expensive mesh wifi kit, samsung fix the issue or provide roll back to previous firmware

0 Likes
userMcEJ1Q5fci
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

update, october 1 security patch level and latest update still hasn't resolved the issue, still useless connection to orbi rbk50 wifi. tell tale sign is orbi app wont connect to router even it shows wifi connected. Samsung do you even care? seriously every other device works perfectly.

0 Likes
timstack
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Still having the issue where when I enter my house the galaxy S8 sometimes only connects to 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz band then I notice when I do the ipv6 tests my ipv6 doesn't work on my phone  but ipv6 is still enabled and working. I'm using same SSID name with my router. 

0 Likes