JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 04-02-2019 09:05 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userf71KbDl8P0
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem (computer on wifi fine, phone drops inexplicably).

I also have one much more irritating problem... when I move from wifi to data zones, my internet stops working completely. The only way to solve this is to restart about 3 times. Sometimes even this doesn't work.

I've tried switching wifi on and off, data on and off, data saving off, battery saving off, none of these make a difference.

Subsequently find this phone a real pain.

0 Likes
userOq9FcJUT69
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just recently got my s8 and was having wifi issues. What i did was i went into the advanced wifi settings and i turned on "turn on wifi automatically". It is now working for me. Possible fix.

0 Likes
JeffSh
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Thats a router DHCP issue and not your phones fault.   But if it fixed your issue thats all that matters.

Jeff S.

0 Likes
Blkparader
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@JeffSh wrote:

Thats a router DHCP issue and not your phones fault.   But if it fixed your issue thats all that matters.

Jeff S.

Ok... so if it's a "router DHCP issue" how do we fix it?

Personally, I have a century link router both at home & work (2 places I spend most of my time with wifi & consequently the only places I've encountered this issue. Hotels & any public wifi; like starbucks or Target etc; I haven't run into this issue.) and a lot of the settings others have listed here for a regular router, like netgear, don't show for mine. 

0 Likes
user0s2ZMd2eBS
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

How did you bind your phone with fixed ip address. Please mention the steps.

Thank you.

userbei2VUjwNG
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Having the same problem as of today on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ - has never happened before. Pretty much can't use the phone on my Wifi network at home now because it's so slow and doesn't load images, videos, anything. 

Your so-called accepted solution: How do you bind the phone to another static IP address? What IP address? Why didn't you provide details on how to do this?

Samsung needs to fix this issue - which seems to have been happening for people since the phone came out. This is stupid and unacceptable!

0 Likes
PTirthP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can you tell me what are the steps to fix this, because I am having the same problem 

0 Likes
userJFler5Xi8r
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same issue. I simply rebooted my router to fix it. May still need to assign a static IP if it happens again. THE PROBLEM IS NOTE WITH THE PHONE. Try this first!

0 Likes
useraDk77j2O9J
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I changed the router band from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz, wifi dropping problem fixed.Screenshot_20190824-135434_Samsung Internet.jpg

0 Likes
GrandOak
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This is NO soultion when issue arises when connecting to a quest network, such at a medical clinic!!!

The problem arises because those systems have CYBERSECURITY which does not allow clients to test network speeds!!  Consequently, phone cannot determine and so shuts down connection. All part of the "Smart Network Switch" that apparently does not understand that disabling "Ping" tests is FIRST THING It does for CYBERSECURITY!!!

I got Samsung because of their hyped network security and find out that this basic protection used was primary key their networking on S8 uses for Internet connectivity.  SERIOUSLY? 

0 Likes