JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 05-19-2017 12:39 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

JUMP TO SOLUTION
477 Replies
userbSpFmBnPdx
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The s8 is just a piece of . It's a  expensive piece of disappointment. I'm starting to wish I've bought iPhone instead of this garbage

userjYYKBuqU9t
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I finally decided to jump from iPhone to Android and the 2-for-1 deal on samsung.com made it easier. Indeed a big mistake. I am on the edge of the T-Mobile network and rely on WiFi Calling most of the times when home. Now I have a $420 device which I cannot return and the WiFi isnt working. Keeps hanging up the connection and shows an ! point next to the WiFi. Doesnt even reset itself - have to switch on and off the WiFi to make it work again.

No choice. Just wait and suck it in until I can move back to the iPhone next year after paying for this phone and never again to Android. Meanwhile my daughter's iPhone-7 works wonderfully on the same WiFi network.

And BTW no point in posting to this forum. All the replies are just users complaining. There isnt one response from Samsung representative offering any kind of help or support. Good place to vent but dont expect any resolution.

0 Likes
userhkhwBHENNy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have same problem. Seems to happen more at home and the further away I get from the Wi-Fi. I have Sprint.
0 Likes
user2a1ENsQMtR
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem here!  I'm on Verizon.  Anyone have a solution yet?!?  Phone is basically a $750 paper weight if the Wi-Fi doesn't work!

0 Likes
user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So, try this... Assuming that you are using a Wi-Fi calling mode, (Verizon calls it Advanced Calling) and you are in a strong Wi-Fi area or better yet a mesh Wi-Fi, switch to Airplane Mode. This will eliminate any possibility of the cellular system triggering whatever bug is present in the S8. I have found this to be the latest viable workaround for me and provides a stable wi-fi environment. As the workarounds are changeing, I believe Samsung and the Router vendors are working on this, but don't quite have it solved yet. Of course, when you leave your wi-fi area, you need to switch airplane mode off. It's a bit of a pain...

0 Likes
usertUUWnRUGXP
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've tried all the workarounds.  The only 100% fix I have found is to disable 802.11n, so your router only use 802.11g or 802.11b.  Sometimes this is listed as restricting the transfer speed to 54 Mbps.

Can anyone else confirm this fixes their wifi dropouts?

0 Likes
usersf5wdGIo19
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I've got a solution my friend.

I tried it on my phone and it worked miraculously.

And this is how I did it:

(Note:You need an extra phone that has internet access when connected with the respective Wi-Fi/router.)

1. Connect your other device, lets call it "phone1"(where there is internet access) to the Wi-Fi . Suppose your Wi-Fi name is: "apple"

2.Now connect your device, lets call it "phone2"(where internet is not available) to the same Wi-Fi: "apple"

3. Now go to your "phone1" WiFi settings and press for a while on the WiFi "apple" for advanced options. After that go to IP settings and change DHCP to Static. Now youll see ip address, gateway, network prefex length, dns 1, dns 2. After that you need to copy all the gateway, network prefex length,dns1 and dns2 addresses except the ip address.

4.now go to the wifi settings of phone2(where internets not working) and again press on WiFi apple for a while and go to advanced options. Then go to ip settings and change dhcp to static. After that write the ip address which you will find it at the bottom. While for the gateway ,network prefex lenght, dns1 and dsn2 you need to paste the previously copied informations/addresses. 🙂 thats it.

After that you save it.

And Viola!!! The internet is available! :DDDD

user85uwAjhRoJ
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

This shows how much this issue has changed over the months. I tried a static IP several months ago to no avail. Now, a simple switch to a static IP and I've gone two days with no issues. Many thanks...

0 Likes
useruzwTvkHvRo
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

ok! listen.

this wifi issue with samsung s8 general.

I have done alot of research on it, and come to a conclutions to it.

I seams to me that this issue is when you have surtent bluetooth hardware connected to the phone, and the wifi issue appear more.

I have a very good example of this.

if you connect merchedes adapter to the bluetooth on phone, the wifi drop out of internett happening more offen, you will also get slow connection on the wifi part.

when remove all blutooth devices from the phone, the wifi works much better. ( this but is also on the lates update on it)

0 Likes
JenniLovesTimmy
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am having the same issues (I have Verizon). I got the S8+ about a month ago, NO ISSUES ... last weekend my fiber optic internet provider had a major outage in my area. They fixed the outage and all of our devices went back to working on wifi as normal ...

but ever since the outage my S8 Plus has been giving me the EXACT issues everyone here is having (I don't have the exclamation point though I have a question mark, it says WiFi networks available but that doesn't matter.  It will pretend to connect then go right back off with a message at the bottom of my screen that says "wifi disconnected"...it just wont connect and stay connected. 

I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING MENTIONED HERE....NOTHING WORKS. VERY DISAPPOINTED.  I LOVED MY S6 EDGE ... I AM REGRETTING UPGRADING NOW. AND OF COURSE IT SCREWED UP OUTSIDE OF MY WINDOW TO RETURN IT.

0 Likes