JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 05-19-2017 12:39 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

JUMP TO SOLUTION
477 Replies
usergzBVYyO8gg
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

it stopped working fine 😞

0 Likes
userJm1p2hWlt9
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello how can change this setting I not find?

0 Likes
userJm1p2hWlt9
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello how can change this setting I not find ? 

0 Likes
userQ9OnTeTqEo
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi guys. This was a big problem for me - especially because I have a teenage daughter with an S8 getting annoyed at her data being ate up!

I'm in the UK. I used to have a broadband which came down the telephone line and gave us no issues on the S8. We then switched to fibre optic broadband and the problems began. 

I tried the dns as 8.8.8.8 and no luck. Then tried a static ip and that did not work. I then tried turning off blue tooth scanning with no joy. I couldn't see any conflicts with ip addresses. 

Finally I found the solution!  Our broadband gives the option of having a guest network. Apparently it's completely separate from the normal wifi. So I've connected both phones to this wifi and no disconnections so far. The only other thing I've connected to this wifi since is my daughter's Windows 10 pc.  There were MANY devices connected to the main WiFi. 

I don't know if there are disconnections and it is just circulating through the 2 available Wi-Fi's but we are happy!  I havent tried switching off blue tooth scanning yet but I'm sure that'll be fine. I hope this helps others resolve the issue. 

moWMan
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hello Catiger,

Even i am facing the same issue but at a different location. My home wifi connects perfectly fine and i have never seen the exclamation mark appear next to the wifi symbol. But at work i keep getting this problem frequently.  It started recently but now i'm facing this issue daily. Please suggest what i could try in order to resolve it. As it is my workplace network, i might not be able to bind a static ip for my galaxy s8.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Mohit

0 Likes
userZxbNQr7OWp
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

To follow up on the solution post...

Go to Settings (gear on the top right of the phone)

Click on Connections.

Click on Wi-Fi.

Press on the name of your home network and hold until the menu pops up, then choose Manage Network Settings.

Choose Show Advanced Options.

Look at two things here: 1) the IP Address being used by your phone & 2) the address of your home router.

Go to your web browser and type in the address of your router (example: http://192.169.1.1).

Look for information on the specific devices using your home network. You might see Amazon Fire Sticks, phones, TV's, etc. listed. There may be quite a few devices in the list, but the one in particular you are interested in is your S8.

Once you find your phone on the list, get to the settings of that device so you can see the IP address assigned to it. It's the same as what you saw earlier listed on your phone. What you want to look for is the setting to reserve the IP address it's using so it is only for that device and won't change as the device comes on or off the network.

I did this last night and my months of issues are resolved. My phone hasn't dropped the network once since. 

0 Likes
ronkat
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can all of you, the clowns,

that had suggested replacing the routers ip

or change to static ip,

Please explain:

1. Can you do that when using a public network?

No.

2. Should there be a difference  between these ip addresses?

No. Or very bad for Samsung if there is.

3. Is disconnct/reconnect or choosing a static ip is a SOLUTION for the traveling business person?

No.

Please stop spamming.

No real solution to the problem yet.

userraKuR7v2v3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So, I'm no genius, how exactly do you do that? I have an A8+ and same problem.

0 Likes
userzisnCIcH7q
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
"Bind my S8+ with another fixed IP address"

Could you please elaborate how you did this? Sorry, novice here! Thanks.
0 Likes
userlocblVbpYn
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Please clarify going to router page (on router or phone).

Please clarify bindng fixed IP address.

Thank you.

0 Likes