Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userIUpXLM6KxP
Asteroid

Galaxy S8+ Won't Turn On or Charge

Hello All,

So, yesterday I wen't for a walk before a storm and listened to music/played on my Galaxy S8+ and it randomly froze for a second and turned off. The phone was at ~90% and it will now not turn on or show any life while charging.

Here is what I've tried:

- Powering on (of course).

- Soft & hard resets.

- Charging the phone via wall, laptop, Xbox, battery pack, and car. I've used different cords. 

- Taking out the SIM card.

- Taking off the case to see if it somehow was damaged which it wasn't as far as I could tell.

The phone is out of warranty by 5 months and nothing has worked thus far. Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea what could have happened? I plan to take it to a Samsung approved repair center soon but figured I'd ask here as a last Hail Mary.

Thanks all.

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Galaxy S8+ Won't Turn On or Charge

@userIUpXLM6KxP Can you send me a private message using this link here? Provide the following information.

• Model number
  • IMEI number
userIUpXLM6KxP
Asteroid

So, here is an update since no one was able to help me:

I left the phone off the  charger lastnight and woke up and tried the power button. With pressing the power button in I noticed a viberation and signs of life. The phone was at 0% so I plugged it into the wall and waited.

I then turned the phone on and it is now in a bootloop. I've tried running it in safemode, clearing the cache, and also going as far as a factory reset. Running it in safemode and clearing the cache both lead to further bootloops. After the factory reset it went past the Galaxy screen and past the Verizon screen intially but then started the same bootloop.

The positives? Atleast it is turning on now. The negatives? I can't figure out what to do since a factory reset didn't even work.

Any ideas? And, before a mod comments; I already know I'm out of warranty. 

Samsung_UnNUsba
Astronaut

I experienced this same issue a few months ago with the s...

I experienced this same issue a few months ago with the same overnight to morning scenario. In my case it was the opening where the charger connects top the phone. I chose to get a new phone but u was able to very the phone fully charged so that I could turn it on again once more n back it up.

Its gonna sound crazy and I'll take a couple pictures for a better explanation em li

SBooth
Asteroid

Have entered the pre-boot loader mode so you can try: A:...

Have entered the pre-boot loader mode so you can try:

A: clear the system cache

B:

SBooth
Asteroid

Sorry, hit the post button too soon... In the bootloader...

Sorry, hit the post button too soon...

In the bootloader (Samy calls it RecoveryMode), you can also wipe/factory reset the device before choosing to reboot. Most times, just clearing the cache works, but you have options.

More information: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/boot-your-galaxy-s8-s8-into-recovery-mode-download-mode-01772...

Samsung_UnNUsba
Astronaut

I had the same problem. I even had the same scenario happ...

I had the same problem. I even had the same scenario happen waking up in the morning. It sounds like the danger problem I had. Mine turned out to be the charging port or where the charger plugs into the phone. They get loose and expand so the connection is minor enough to charge the phone. I wound up getting a new phone. However, (n this is the part that hopefully is some help) I found a way to get 1 more significant charge so I could start my phone up long enough to back it up for the new phone. I actually had the phone running for 2 days which left no questions on what the problem was. It could hold a charge, it just couldn't take one.

I'll post a couple pictures with directions on what I did so you can have a visual on what needs to be done to charge the phone. Let me know on here if you still want to know.... it's all free

userIUpXLM6KxP
Asteroid

Re: I had the same problem. I even had the same scenario happ...

Hi UnNusba,

It's definitely a frustrating problem...

I ended up taking it to a certified Samsung repair place and they said the phone was not fixable (atleast there) because it was a motherboard issue. They didn't give me many details besides that so I've ordered a refurbished phone off of Amazon. 

Thank you to all for the help 

userTw0X1yeRap
Constellation

im having the exact same problem a few months now, i never let it go dead as it will not charge for me, now it went dead during the night even though it was plugged into samsung charger. wont turn on wont charge. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@userTw0X1yeRap Have you tried any of these troubleshooting steps? http://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001573/