cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Contributor

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah, Safe Mode isn't a bad step, but it's not something that should a prolonged process. While it doesn't hurt to be in there for a few hours to verify if the problem persists, that's about all it should be in Safe Mode. If the problem continues in Safe Mode, then it's most likely not a 3rd party app causing the problem. If it doesn't happen in that time frame then it most likely is a 3rd party app. Basically, just as with other troubleshooting steps, it's meant to be a temporary state to determine what to do next.

Let us know how things go though and hopefully the problem just won't come back! That would be amazing.  o.o

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
userIIttQ3swZS
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungViv I just experienced the issue again this evening... So I was able to step through a sequence and try the settings change as suggested.  See the following:

1. I had the phone in my pocket for a period of time, pulled it out and the fingerprint sensor was not responsive at all.  No sense for a bad fingerprint (slight vibration), just dead.

2. Manually unlocked with pattern lock.

3. Checked fingerprint sensor in banking app (uses fingerprint to login), did not work.

4. Locked phone and retried fingerprint sensor (just to be sure), not responsive.

5. Manually unlocked with pattern lock.

6. Immediately went to Finger Sensor Gestures in settings and turned OFF.

7. Fingerprint sensor functionality restored!  Smiley Happy

8. I turned back ON the Finger Sensor Gestures (as I like the feature) and the fingerprint sensor remained functional.

No reboot was necessary

I hope you can forward this info on to those inside Samsung who are investigating this problem.  It does appear to be a bug with how the gestures takes over the fingerprint sensor operation.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks! That will certainly help out. Based on what you've tested, these two features are interfering with each other right now. Hopefully that will narrow down what can fix it fast though!  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userPErXCHUn49
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
That did not solve
user0608vWrB8u
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having this same issue. Did you ever fix the issue? I realize someone said that a software update will fix the issue but no clue how long that will take to get to us or even be released Smiley Sad

user3HMEpBcbYG
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had the same issue. Is there a fix for this? I would assume a software update or a patch should be able to fix this.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

While a patch fix is being worked on, can anyone having this problem please try turning off the Finger Sensor Gestures in Settings as mentioned by @userIIttQ3swZS

That worked for them and hopefully will work for others as well!

Jsalt
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the exact same issue. The sensor just randomly stops functioning. It becomes completely unresponsive to the correct fingerprint, wrong fingerprint, or the gestures. The only way I've found to resolve the issue is to restart the phone. It was pretty uncommon at first, but today it has happened 3 times. It's very annoying because I use it all the time. The iris scanner doesnt work for me because of my contacts and the face unlock is not secure enough for my liking. 

userzBLoG5uYg8
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

YUP

this is a MASSIVE FLAW on S8 S8+

First samsung REALLY F*'s up by putting teh FP scanner in the WORST POSSIBLE PLACE EVER  next to the CAMERA LENS.  REALLY???????????????

then the FP scanner is stupidly skinny.

then the FP scanner driver is GARBAGE and crashes/or stops responding.

FIX THIS ASAP SAMSUNG.    this is the first and last samsung i'll buy if you do not fix this problem.  its bad enough samsung had this  battery explosion issue...... FIX THIS NOW

userzBLoG5uYg8
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SAMSUNG 

before this issue becomes viral,  FIX THIS.