Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Shawna wrote:

@user60Qv8TweqH wrote:

Dial *#0*# to get to the diagnostic screen. Click Sensors and scroll all the way to the button. Run the fingerprint scanner test from there. To back out you have to double tap the back button at each screen or just keep mashing it until you get back to the Phone app. 

Ok, either I'm slow or just confused lol, I go to phone dialer and hit *#0*# and all it does is make a call. Is there another place to do this or extra steps? Sorry for the slowness but some things I'm still learning even though I've been a Galaxy owner right fom the beginning. I appreciate the help!

Are you using the stock dialer? On my S8 no call is initiated and the diagnostic screen immediately appears. 

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you using the stock dialer? On my S8 no call is initiated and the diagnostic screen immediately appears. 

Yes i go to my phone app dialer. I then put in the numbers and it just tries to call. I'll add a screenshot of what i put. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Shawna wrote:

Yes i go to my phone app dialer. I then put in the numbers and it just tries to call. I'll add a screenshot of what i put. 

I'm not an expert but your dialing interface is different than mine. See attached. Is the app called Phone (showing up as Contacts when you get App Info)?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Is anyone having this finger print scanner issue using any phone Case/Cover?

i think its cover. i had this issue sometime back then i removed the cover. So far no issue.. (Yes it happened when phone was idle for long inside pocket)
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please disable the automatic display brightness - it helped!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userR7njkAKPRQ wrote:

Disabling that would also cripple one of the most useful features. I'd prefer keeping the auto-brightness on and "just" restart the phone each time the fingerprint scanner takes a sh**.

But I might have found a solution in a xda thread few days ago... 

Please use this steps . I think it's been working fine for me without a restart for 2-3 days now.

But you might have to repeat the process twice. For some reason the fingerprint sensor died again soon after but I repeated the steps and now it works.  And no worries, you won't lose anything that's saved on your phone or your phone settings.

1. turn off your device and THEN turn it on by pressing and holding power, volume up and bixby button

(DO NOT press volume down! In case you do you'll be stuck in a screen that will say "downloading!", to exit out of that screen you'll have to press power, volume down and bixby.)

2. on android screen, when you see 'no command' hold power and press volume up to access recovery

3. use volume keys to navigate within recovery mode.

4. select 'wipe cache partition' to clear cache partition.

5. then reboot the phone.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@useroLegyhZwwV wrote:

@userR7njkAKPRQ wrote:

Disabling that would also cripple one of the most useful features. I'd prefer keeping the auto-brightness on and "just" restart the phone each time the fingerprint scanner takes a sh**.

But I might have found a solution in a xda thread few days ago... 

Please use this steps . I think it's been working fine for me without a restart for 2-3 days now.

But you might have to repeat the process twice. For some reason the fingerprint sensor died again soon after but I repeated the steps and now it works.  And no worries, you won't lose anything that's saved on your phone or your phone settings.

1. turn off your device and THEN turn it on by pressing and holding power, volume up and bixby button

(DO NOT press volume down! In case you do you'll be stuck in a screen that will say "downloading!", to exit out of that screen you'll have to press power, volume down and bixby.)

2. on android screen, when you see 'no command' hold power and press volume up to access recovery

3. use volume keys to navigate within recovery mode.

4. select 'wipe cache partition' to clear cache partition.

5. then reboot the phone.

I have to say that clearing the cache is the method that seems to provide the most consistent long term functioning fingerprint scanner. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This way helps for a while. We paid a lot of money for the phone and we demand a fully-equipped equipment. Dear Samsung !!!!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, here is a "fix that's easy to do and takes around 3 seconds to perform. If the fingerprint scanner becomes inoperative, simply unlock the phone, place a registered finger on the scanner, lock the phone and wait 2-3 seconds for it to unlock itself by fingerprint. Just do this as necessary until Samsung gets it's **bleep** together. The problem is the phone thinks there is a finger there, detects nothing and considers it as a "non matching fingerprint" and every time you lock the phone it tries to rescan it when it glitches, so if it finds a correct fingerprint there instead it will actually fix the glitch until next time. But since it's only a few second process it's much better than rebooting the phone every time or doing the cache partition clear.

This idea cane to me since the phone vibrates when it locks as if the sensor activated so I tried it and what do you know? Problem solved lol.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userDQZ5UMC16B wrote:

So, here is a "fix that's easy to do and takes around 3 seconds to perform. If the fingerprint scanner becomes inoperative, simply unlock the phone, place a registered finger on the scanner, lock the phone and wait 2-3 seconds for it to unlock itself by fingerprint. Just do this as necessary until Samsung gets it's **bleep** together. The problem is the phone thinks there is a finger there, detects nothing and considers it as a "non matching fingerprint" and every time you lock the phone it tries to rescan it when it glitches, so if it finds a correct fingerprint there instead it will actually fix the glitch until next time. But since it's only a few second process it's much better than rebooting the phone every time or doing the cache partition clear.

This idea cane to me since the phone vibrates when it locks as if the sensor activated so I tried it and what do you know? Problem solved lol.

That is awesome! Turns the problem from terrible to only slightly annoying.