cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userVXZS1nVR2H
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

even after system update , it was not fixed at all.

Kbible2003
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How do you reboot?

userRANfzNSVBW
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had a bit of success by removing all my fingerprints, rebooting and then adding a new fingerprint.

Still had to wade through a few extra errors on scanner but not nearly as many as before.

With just Fingerprint1 I can unlock always.

Until next time I suppose?

userr11xRtdPIQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userRANfzNSVBW wrote:

I had a bit of success by removing all my fingerprints, rebooting and then adding a new fingerprint.

Still had to wade through a few extra errors on scanner but not nearly as many as before.

With just Fingerprint1 I can unlock always.

Until next time I suppose?

Is that a possible solution?  Use one finger print rather than four?  I had thought that adding more made it more reliable or faster but perhaps that is not the case. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION

If you guys don't have Verizon you can try this to improve your fingerprint sensor.

Settings->device maintenance->battery->Look at battery usage->three dots right-hand corner optimize battery usage->all apps-> fingerprint scanner->toggle off

If you use the iris scanner I would toggle that off to improve the responsiveness.

userr11xRtdPIQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just finished a chat session with Samsung Canada.  I described the problem and the first suggestion was to rescan my fingerprints. I said I already did that and it now takes a very long time.   The next suggestion is a soft reset.  I had restarted it many times but not a soft reset.  So I turned it off and then restarted by pressing the volumn down and power button at the same time.   The finger print reader is definitely faster and works on the first touch now.  I've only had the "fix" for a few minutes but I'll post an update in a day or two to confirm if this fix will hold or if it will only work for a day before slowing down again.    For now it is certainly an improvement though. 

userC8DakaNdgU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having this issue as well since I got the phone last month. Most of the time it just says "no match".  I hate Apple, but now I'm really envying their new Face ID feature on the iPhone X, which is used in place of fingerprint scanning.  I have a feeling this is how all phones will be soon, because fingerprint scanning is very annoying, ESPECIALLY when the sensor is on the back! 

I wish we could just use iris scanner for now to login to banking apps... I just don't know how secure it is. 

userT0GCIsAMho
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userC8DakaNdgU wrote:

I'm really envying their new Face ID feature on the iPhone X, which is used in place of fingerprint scanning.  

The S8 does this! You can unlock your phone with your face. Often when waking the screen, just looking at it with dim lighting, like during driving, is sufficient to unlock before you do half of a pin.

It's what I've been doing since the fingerprint sensor for me just.... despite attempts to reset the sensor itself, multiple fingers and angles, it doesn't work.

My sister is very similar looking to me, enough that growing up we were often mixed up (or I was known as the one with glasses), even by our own parents.

It isn't secure enough for banking, but honestly, that's true for every device across multiple platforms. 

useruMiT7Ewwrm
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I got the same issue in my S8. If the phone goes to sleep itself, then the finger scanner works and unlocks the phone. But if i lock the phone myself, the finger scanner will not work. I dont understand what type of issue is this and how to fix this.

Highlighted
userr11xRtdPIQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userr11xRtdPIQ wrote:

I just finished a chat session with Samsung Canada.  I described the problem and the first suggestion was to rescan my fingerprints. I said I already did that and it now takes a very long time.   The next suggestion is a soft reset.  I had restarted it many times but not a soft reset.  So I turned it off and then restarted by pressing the volumn down and power button at the same time.   The finger print reader is definitely faster and works on the first touch now.  I've only had the "fix" for a few minutes but I'll post an update in a day or two to confirm if this fix will hold or if it will only work for a day before slowing down again.    For now it is certainly an improvement though. 

Update

My FPS did work well after the above soft reboot but later in the day it seemed to slow down and become unresponsive again.  I continued to replaced one of the four fingerprints and each time the results were a little different.  However eventually by doing this I managed to get it almost back to normal.   In fact it is just slightly slower than it was when I first bought it.   All four finderprints registered were mine.  I thought it would work best if it had four samples.  Now I think perhaps there is a software error if two are two close or if something corrupts one of them.   I suggest others try and remove and replace one of the four until you get the results you are looking for.  Try the solf reset too.   You'll know it's improving when it regesters your fingerprint reasonably fast vs taking 30 minutes or more.