cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

same issue here ...but i have noticed that disabling the finger sensor gestures resolves the issue with finger print screen unlock.

I have disabled the gesture and i have not seen the problem since.

Otherwise this problem would be a recurring nuisance every 2-3days.

I guess this could be a temporary work around until Samsung gets this bug fixed.

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm experiencing the same thing as well. Today alone I have had to reset my phone 2 times due to scanner not working. It is rather obnoxious being met with the "sensor fail" prompt accompanied by the inate inconvience of sensor placement. I went as far as retraining myself to put my phone in the opposite pocket just to reach across the back of my s8+ with a more.. I suppose toy could say, natural feel. none the less now I operate my phone with the opposing hand more frequently as well. Though I digress, this is more or less a bother than the true fault at hand.

I look forward to experiencing a flawless sensor interface in the future updates, though antiasipate Verizon to throttle the facilitation of our requests- per usual.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having a similar problem that I can't find a record of anyone else having quite the same as mine.

Randomly I will wake the phone to unlock it and then put my finger on the scanner, but it won't detect anything, so it goes back to sleep.

But if I try it enough times, or maybe just wait a minute, it will start working.

I've had the phone for maybe 4 months and this problem literally just started a few weeks ago.

I've rebooted a few times since it started but it hasn't gone away.

I don't know if it's related, but I also have this problem where randomly the volume button will be unresponsive. 

I'll be listening to a podcast and the screen will go to sleep as usual. Then randomly I'll try to adjust the volume and nothing will happen. 

I'll move it up and down a couple times with no result. Then, 10 second later, the volume popup appears and the slider moves rapidly up and down as if it were finally executing all the adjustments I did.

It seems like both of these things are the phone briefly locking up. But audio keeps playing, the power button wakes up the screen, etc.

Anyone else seeing this?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Happens to me too. For sure this is a software issue, it goes away (temporarily) under 2 circumstances:

1) reboot the phone

2) run an optimize to put a bunch of unused apps to sleep (settings->device maintenence->Optimize now)

My conclusion is that this is a caching/swapping problem. If the phoen is loaded with apps, and the available memory becomes too low, things start to get swapped out, and if the system swaps out the fingerprint sensor program (which is running in the background waiting for someone to place their finger on the sensor), then the fingerprint sensor becomes unresponsive. Very anoying.

My quick solution for the time being is to addd the "Device Maintenence" widget to the main screen; when the problem occurs, just unlock the phone via another method (I usually use retina scan), and then hit the optimize widget....problem goes away for a while (until the fingerprint sensor gets swapped out again).

Samsung should fix this problem by disabling spap-out of the fingeprint sensor code in the kernel.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the suggestion. I recently uninstalled a lot of stuff I don't use, but there's still a fair amount of stuff on it.

I have set a couple apps to not run in the background - is there a way to set something like the sensor program to not ever swap out?

I did a test - the last two times it had the problem I put my finger on the sensor, waited a second, then removed it. I didn't touch anything else (buttons, screen, etc)... I just waited. Both times, after 5-10 seconds the screen unlocked.

So it does feel a bit like a swap problem, except some process is successfully reading my finger - it's just not telling the phone to unlock. It feels very much like the volume control problem I mentioned too.

These are vital system functions and should NEVER be swapped out, or put to sleep, or whatever is happening.

The good thing is that the problem doesn't happen every time, and rebooting never seems to be necessary for me. because once it' sunlocked, I don't see the problem again for half a day usually. It's probably because I have it stay unlocked when my bluetooth is connected, so I only have to use the fingerprint maybe 1 in 10 times I unlock it.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Right, I found exactly the same thing; when this problem happens, it is not that the sensor doesn't work, it just takes a veeeery long time to respond, I found if I leave my finger on the sensor for several seconds without moving it (needs 2 hands to hold the phone still), it will eventually unlock. My thory is that it just takes a long time to swap the program back in and execute the code.

This is a perenial problem with Samsung's version of Android; since my first Galaxy S4 six years ago, I have always had this issue with my Samsung phones, there will be times when apps just become totaly unresponsive for several seconds, and when that app is either some phone unlock app, or the launcher itself, the whole phone appears to freeze up...seriously Samsung, you really need to get your software right, or just start using the stock version of Android (which I would be perfectly happy with). The only reason I keep comming back to Samsung is because the hardware is the best.

BTW: I also just updated to the latest version of the optimizer app (available today), and the problem has not appeared all day....maybe it resolved something with swapping/paging, but going to call it fixed until it doesn't happen for at least a few days.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How do I reboot the phone?  Nothing works on the phone when my fingerprint won't unlock it.  Pushing the power button does nothing.  Pushing the power button and the volumn down button together do nothing.  I am locked out of my phone.  Not sure if I wrote down my password anywhere.

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I think your in bad shape. If you cannot remember the password. The only th ing i can think of is to keep trying your finger print until you unlock it. After that you can than go into safe mode using the power key down while pressing the volume down key.
By safe mode only means starting the phone with no 3rd party apps.
Other than the above, you might have to take your phone into your carrier and have them reset the phone back to factory load. 
Sorry I can't help more. 
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So I had this happen to me in the opening weeks -- restarted the phone, good to go. Then I had to actually do a factory reset on the phone a couple times due to a freezing issue and actually forgot about this issue. 

Now that my phone has been reset for about 10 days, this issue cropped up today at work. I did have the fingerprint gesture on (though I hardly use it -- just cool to know it's there). So I was in a middle of a meeting fiddled with it for about 5 minutes ensuring the fingerprint scanner was indeed not work. All I had time to do was go in and disable the fingerprint gesture, then I had to go back to my meeting. Went back to my phone like 10 minutes later and the fingerprint scanner magically worked again. 

No force stop/disable/re-enable, no phone restart; just simply sat my phone down and it worked again. If there was any doubt on this at this point (which I don't think there is), the fingerprint gesture function definitely seems to be the culprit. 

Just thought I'd share

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

In my experience the fingerprint gesture being on or off makes no difference.  I currently have fingerprint gestures set to off, and still have this recurring issue.