cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userlzctm4JM5f
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah I have the same problem too. It happens several times a day, I place the finger on the sensor and it won't do anything (not even vibrate) although I don't need to reboot, usually when I lay the finger a second time it responds again, but it's still very bothering.

I can't really understand why samsung haven't fixed this yet, it's been months since the release

Highlighted
userr11xRtdPIQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It seems that everyone is finding different solutions.  My fingerprint scanner stopped completely.   The soft reboot helped but that was temporary.   I followed the instructions here to turn off the one finger gestures sensor  under Advanced Features, (the function that allows you to pull down notifications with the same finger that unlocks it).  I also followed the instructions above regarding the battery saver on everything except the finger print scanner.  Even then it would start to give missed readings on my finger.  I then deleted 3 of four scans and rescanned two more so I'm using 3.  That may not make a difference but that's where my phone is at right now.   I can say this for certain, if scanning your finger takes more than a minute in total, scrap it because it's not working.  I spent 30 minutes on one scan a while back and that was a useless exercise.   I don't know what to recommend if it takes that long but perhaps the soft reboot and then rescan your finger.  If it goes reasonably quickly, asking you to move it around a bit, and then finishing, you've got a good scan.   Here's where my experience differs.  now i just tap the sensor with my finger.  I don't hold my finger on for several seconds and wait for a response.   A quick tap and I keep my finger off.  Sometimes it seems to slowly wake and other times it's in an instant but it works.  So I went from working when the phone was new, to not working at all, to working as described above.  Now the only time it doesn't work is if my finger is the slightest bit wet or if it's dirty.  I was doing some work at home sharpening kitchen knives and that produces a fine black grit that gets in your pores. Then the finger print reader did not work. When that happens I use the iris scanner which works impressively well except that I have to remove my glasses. So I suggest that you do a soft reboot, change the two settings described above and in more detail in earlier posts, delete old scans and hopefully if it all goes well, you and your Samsung are friends again. It worked for me.    I do miss the swipe to drop down notifications but it is what it is. 

abbyshihtzu
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you all having problems entering your fingerprints in as well?  When I first got the phone entering the fingerprints took just a few minutes now since this problem started it takes 10 min to enter one if it ever does hit 100%. I have had to tap the scanner up to 102 times to enter one print!

userr11xRtdPIQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@abbyshihtzu wrote:

Are you all having problems entering your fingerprints in as well?  When I first got the phone entering the fingerprints took just a few minutes now since this problem started it takes 10 min to enter one if it ever does hit 100%. I have had to tap the scanner up to 102 times to enter one print!

Did you turn off the finger gesture feature in advanced settings?   Check my post above and it might help.   Anytime it takes a long time to scan new finger prints you might as well stop because they seem to be corrupted or something like that.  If you turn off the finger gesture feature, and then either do a soft reboot or maybe even a restart, then try scanning new finger prints.   It will probably go faster.   It shouldn't take more than a minute for each scan (up to the maximum four)   Also delete any previous ones as they may be causing the problem to persist. 

userLTAGaauO87
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

"Did you turn off the finger gesture feature in advanced settings? "

Mine was already turned off.  

Hate that this is an issue!!!!!

userr11xRtdPIQ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userLTAGaauO87 wrote:

"Did you turn off the finger gesture feature in advanced settings? "

Mine was already turned off.  

Hate that this is an issue!!!!!

Yes, Settings, Advanced Features, Finger sensor gestures to off.

That is not enough though.  You must get rid of the corrupted finger scans.   It stores up to four scans.  Delete them and add two or three new ones but only if you can add them in around one minute  or so.   If it takes a lot longer, scrap it and try again.  In fact, I suggest you at least restart or do a soft reboot and then try the new finger scans. Hopefully that will fix it for you.   

abbyshihtzu
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

yes, I just got the phone back from Samsung for the 2nd time and I can not enter any fingerprints. I took 15 minutes to get it to 60% and then I accidentally hit the Bixby button and all progress was lost.

I would not be so pissed but I have 2 apps that I use all the time that require fingerprint authentication or I have to type the passwords which are long.

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's really frustrating, I apologize for that experience @abbyshihtzu. I'm happy to look into this for you, can you send me a Private Message so that I can look into more specifics about your device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

abbyshihtzu
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, I have had this problem since about 2 weeks ago I have had my S8+ unlocked directly from Samsung since July. It also now takes 50 to 100 finger taps to register my fingerprints into the phone. 2 factory resets later I called Samsung and they remoted into my phone and could see that it was not sensing every time I touched the sensor to add fingerprint. So it was sent to Samsung and came back with a letter saying that they could not reproduce the problem and had a 17 point checklist that it passed. However, the list did not include anything about the fingerprint sensor and there was no mention of the sensor being checked.

I got the phone back yesterday and started to enter my fingerprints and again it took 60 taps to get one fingerprint entered and it kept displaying the red print icon and saying be sure you cover the entire sensor. So I called Samsung again and had them remote into the phone and he watched it take 102 taps to enter 1 fingerprint and only one out of 5 tries did that fingerprint unlock the phone.  It is going back to Samsung again tomorrow.  Everyone at Samsung was very nice polite and did everything they could but no one said this is a known problem and here's what you can do or there is nothing to be done.

My husband also has an S8+ and his is not giving him this problem Yet (thank god) His is also unlocked but came from Best Buy. 

I also have an S7 edge so I removed all the old fingerprints from it and redid them it took 2 min to enter 3 fingerprints. So it is not my fingers or my technique.

My biggest complaint is this is a known problem so say so tell the customer the truth and that your working on it or whatever and then of-course actually work on it.

We as customers seem to forget that these phones cost between $650 and $850 each and that is a LOT of money.  Do not just let these problems go unreported because then you will lose the ability to get any sort of service. I just have trouble accepting that I have to pay $700 and up and then fix the phone my self. Am I right?  Or spend hours scouring the internet for clues.

So vent over Phone going back to Samsung tomorrow and calling customer experience department tonight to see what they have to say.  I will say at least I missed the exploding phone

userdIMmBQNZ0P
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yeah my finger print reader is not working as well....