cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Halo

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had same experience but found a work around. 

I hold phone in left hand and put my right index finger at 90 degrees to the reader ( instead of pictured finger in vertical ) . By doing this the reader seems to be covered better and full across the sensor. Anyway this has worked for me. It takes some tries to finally register the fingerprint,  but it works really good afterwards. 

I have fat fingertips so I think the narrow vertical sensor may not be a fit all solution.

No software voodoo contortions by using the finger at a right angle.  I like that.

Let me know if it works for you !!

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user6gSCGOcK6O wrote:

I have had my Galaxy S8 for only a few days now. I have been having this somewhat off-and-on problem where my finger sensor doesn't sense anything: notification gestures, or fingerprints. The last time this happened (besides just a moment ago) , I had to restart the phone to get it working again. (Currently, the sensor isn't working.) I haven't read anythin about this, so I am assuming it is actually a hardware-related thing, although it seems to me like a software issue (since it works okay sometimes, and seems to start working again (after having stopped) if I restart it). I would like some kind of solution to this, or at lead to have confirmation that it is not the hardware.

I had same experience but found a work around. 

I hold phone in left hand and put my right index finger at 90 degrees to the reader ( instead of pictured finger in vertical ) . By doing this the reader seems to be covered better and full across the sensor. Anyway this has worked for me. It takes some tries to finally register the fingerprint,  but it works really good afterwards. 

I have fat fingertips so I think the narrow vertical sensor may not be a fit all solution.

No software voodoo contortions by using the finger at a right angle.  I like that.

Let me know if it works for you !!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Right, it makes sense to do that method. The issue I am having is I get the message "Fingerprint sensor is currently not responding, please try again later". It is definitely not a finger placement issue.

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Would you mind providing some specifics about your device, @userNBcDRLCypB. I haven't seen a lot of people have this problem and I'd like to look into it further. Would you mind providing the following?

• Model Number
  • Baseband version
  • Carrier

You can find this information in Settings > About Phone. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry about the late respond. This app doesn't notify me outside the app that I got a reply. Here is the info you asked for:

SM-G955U

G955USQS2BQL1

AT&T

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Shawna love your beautiful face 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The reboot doesnt help mine. It is totally dead.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Had this phone for more than 1yr. This problem came up once a while from last yr and now it totally fails.

Tried all "solutions" here and nothing works.

The funny thing is that finger print guesture works like a chime so the sensor is fine.

Also i tried fhe dial #0 method and the finger sensor test failed in the pixel test items.

Sc1

T-Mobile carrier. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you spoken to your carrier?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the past 6 months I've put up with restarting my phone to get the finger print sensor working. Now it seems completely dead. Restarting in safe mode doesn't help.

Samsung, as this post shows, people have been reporting this problem for over a year now, Samsung when are you going to resolve the issue?

SM-G950F