cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello. My fingerprint sensor stopped working today. 

It says when I try accessing the fingerprint scanner 'an error occurred with the fingerprint sensor..'.

I tried restarting, wipeing chache, booting into safe mode and removeing the fringerprint. But everytime i want to access the fingerprint menu it gives this error. Tryed stopping the fingerprint app.

In the test menu it says 'sensor not initialized'.

Model nr: SM-G955F

Baseband: G955FXXU2CRF1

Carrier: Digi.Mobil

Thanks.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, make sure you clean the sensor properly. The oils from your finger can stop the sensor from recognizing or sensing your fingerprint. Let us know if this helps!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I tryed cleaning the sensor. It doesn't help 😐
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, just following up to see if you need any assistance?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, I was suddenly having the same problem after I had my cracked front screen repaired 2 days ago. I figured it had to be directly related to that repair, so I got to looking around online for possible solutions. Nothing worked (including the suggested solutions in this thread), so I went on YouTube to look up videos on how one might repair a cracked S8 screen. Immediately, in the first video I watched, the second step after getting the BACK screen off (you have to remove the back to fix the front), was disconnecting the fingerprint sensor wire, from the motherboard. Now, that wire has an end that is actually fastened - well, clicked - onto a groove on the motherboard, that lies directly beneath the camera lens. Then it hit me: the repair woman might not have clicked that end completely back into place. So all I did was apply some pressure to the back of the phone, and heard a pop right away. Turns out, that's what it was. I restarted my phone and voila! Fingerprint sensor is now working again, perfectly.

Your mileage may vary, especially if you haven't recently gotten your screen repaired or dropped your phone in such a way that maybe loosened up something on the inside, but it's worth trying. It's not necessarily a hardware problem or software bug, but rather a simple disconnected wire. I got lucky because my wire wasn't so out of place, that it meant having to take the back screen off again myself, or by another repair person.

If that solution doesn't work (just applying pressure to the back of the phone underneath the camera lens) it's still something to consider before going through the whole factory reset process. Should you be someone who's comfortable with removing the back of your phone, you can check that wire connection yourself in about 10 minutes, tops.

Here's the YouTube video I'm referring to:

https://youtu.be/bYMVIbrhbPA

The Samsung Galaxy S8 can seem impossible to repair yourself. With no visible screws and a solidly glued-on display and rear panel, you might think there's n...
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to double check, was this device purchased in the U.S.?

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had same experience but found a work around. 

I hold phone in left hand and put my right index finger at 90 degrees to the reader ( instead of pictured finger in vertical ) . By doing this the reader seems to be covered better and full across the sensor. Anyway this has worked for me. It takes some tries to finally register the fingerprint,  but it works really good afterwards. 

I have fat fingertips so I think the narrow vertical sensor may not be a fit all solution.

No software voodoo contortions by using the finger at a right angle.  I like that.

Let me know if it works for you !!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user3XVcqP4pp5 wrote:

I hold phone in left hand and put my right index finger at 90 degrees to the reader ( instead of pictured finger in vertical ) . By doing this the reader seems to be covered better and full across the sensor. Anyway this has worked for me. It takes some tries to finally register the fingerprint,  but it works really good afterwards. 

I have fat fingertips so I think the narrow vertical sensor may not be a fit all solution.

No software voodoo contortions by using the finger at a right angle.  I like that.

Thank you!!  This is working for me so far.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@user3XVcqP4pp5 wrote:

After this worked, my regular fingerprint suddenly decided to start working too (~4 hours after) 🤔. Thanks again! 

Highlighted
Halo

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Happy to see you have it working..  Huda thought . I really think it is a bug in their software. It really should be more dependable then this. I can understand them really being careful, but this is behond easy.

@userL07Z4St3mu wrote:

@user3XVcqP4pp5 wrote:

After this worked, my regular fingerprint suddenly decided to start working too (~4 hours after) 🤔. Thanks again!