cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Supernova

Re: Galaxy S8 fingerprint scanner not sensing finger

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I'm really sorry about that omission. I don't know why that link seemed to not work.

You can find the instructions to update your device at your carrier's website here: https://www.att.com/devicehowto/tutorial.html#!/stepbystep/id/stepbystep_KM1203359?make=Samsung&mode...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

usermQuiyBTHd7
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I ha e found the issue

It's about secure lock settings .. it was set to 30 min, which means that for 30 min the phone will get unlocked only after a swipe and not accepting any biometrics scanning..

This let me think that biometrics isn't working. I hope this is the issue for others too as by default this was the value set for me.. I changed it to instantly with power key opt and fingerprint or iris scan works like a charm..

But I fail to understand that by default it should still take the fingerprint scan though 

user0Qg7WCck6o
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Having the same issue, hard reset my phone twice still joy, this is after rebooting the device twice, clearing cache (not really needed but tried). Then reset and still not working, reset again still not working. This is frustrating, was driving to work and it failed... while device was idle Smiley Sad
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay, thanks for attempting that. Could you put your device into safe mode to see if this might help?

1. Power your device down
2. Then power it back on
3. Pressing and holding the Volume Down key when you see the Samsung logo

If your device works properly in this mode, we may want to see if we can remove some third party apps to see if this improves your device's reliability.

Either way, please let me know!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userLIGJ3eEzV1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm reading this 7 mths from the first post and somewhat disappointed to find that I'm the latest victim to this issue. How is it that it's not fixed after 7 mths?

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I do apologize for this delay, we are working to find a solution to all of the causes of this concern. What troubleshooting steps have you tried without a resolution?

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I hope you are doing well. Would you mind providing us with some of the steps you have already tried?

userNBcDRLCypB
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I could provide some feedback for troubleshooting steps I have taken. I ran into this issue Yesterday. Currently my sensor is not working at all. Meaning I have to log into my phone with my long pin. I've tried rebooting my phone, and turning it off for 3 hours. Also tried to optimize my phones performance, with no success of resolving the issue. I just bought this phone in October. There is no damage to it or scratches. What do you recommend I do to fix this annoying issue??

userKT4qhuAiCq
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there, I'm experiencing the same problem as others. First time my finger print was recognised I set a new fingerprint, but this means resetting with banking apps which is annoying. I've tried rebooting my device, but that has not helped. I've only had the phone about six months, so very dissapointing. 

Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, thanks for reaching out, have you already attempted the solution offered by @MJL?

He suggest approaching the fingerprint reader from a different orientation.

If this does not work, please provide me with the following information:

• Model Number
  • Baseband version
  • Carrier

You can find this information in Settings > About Phone.

This will help us determine which models are seeing this difficulty so that we can test for this difficulty.