cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Galaxy S8 vs. Galaxy A50

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've had a Galaxy S8 for two years and have been pleased with it.  I have an opportunity to trade it in with a very small additional cost for a Galaxy A50.  Can anyone help me find out which of the two phones is the better one. 

One advantage of the trade is that I will be exchanging a 2-year old phone for a brand new one with full warranty.  But how do the features compare? 

Any help will be appreciated!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Galaxy S8 vs. Galaxy A50

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Many thanks.  Excellent sites, particularly versus.com that includes analysis, not just comparative data.

--John

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Santa_Rosa_John wrote:

I've had a Galaxy S8 for two years and have been pleased with it.  I have an opportunity to trade it in with a very small additional cost for a Galaxy A50.  Can anyone help me find out which of the two phones is the better one. 

One advantage of the trade is that I will be exchanging a 2-year old phone for a brand new one with full warranty.  But how do the features compare? 

Any help will be appreciated!

Couple of sites to compare both:

https://versus.com/en/samsung-galaxy-a50-vs-samsung-galaxy-s8

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8161&idPhone2=9554

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Samsung-Galaxy-A50-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-S8-vs-Samsung-...

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Many thanks.  Excellent sites, particularly versus.com that includes analysis, not just comparative data.

--John

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had a 2017 released samsung galaxy s8 plus and after using it for a year I thought I would go for the sake of a 'battery upgrade' a new phone, on the spec sheet the Galaxy A50 seemed reasonable and comparable performance.

To sum it up.

+ in favour of galaxy A50

+ bigger screen

+ smaller overall lxwxh dimensions (4% less)

+ better camera

+ on paper slightly newer processor

+ 4000mAh

I regret the change...

Why

1) I can see the compromise when swapping from the S series to A seriesfirstly

a) cheaper construction, feels cheaper to hold

b) performance when you look at the benchmarks is much poorer for the A0 despite a better processor ??!! Is samsung detuning the device so that the A series cannot canibalise the S series

S8 Plus vs A50

Basemark performance OS II:  3401 vs 2292

Basemark X: 43862 vs 19106

The a50 is sluggish as compared to the s8 plus...

c) The magapixel comparison of the camera may prove the a50 will win but arguably the s8 plus camera is very fine, also the pixel density is higher for picture reproduction on the screen. 52ppi vs 429ppi

I saved some money buying the Samsung Galaxy A50 but I regret downgrading from the S series phones, I thought a 2 year old phone is bound to be beaten by a more value focussed phone with similar specs 'in theory'. I could not be more wrong.

For all those that are in this unique position, beware.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Galaxy A50  is the top of list Remember it will not go to 5G  when it deploys.  Keep that in mind when you go to a have to get a new phone>    ask if ready   ??

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Don't look at the Galaxy A50 as it has a weak processor, let alone a camera. Although the Exynos 9610 is a year and a half fresher in the first device, it is 2.2 times slower in the floating point test than the Snapdragon 835 in the second smartphone. In AnTuTu 8, the advantages of the flagship device are more than 60%.

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/samsung-exynos-9610-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-835