cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usercJGyZvlyiH
Asteroid

Galaxy s8 - Cannot erase phone numbers on contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi - I have a Galaxy s8. I cannot erase phone numbers on contacts. I click Edit, erase the number, Save, and the number is still there! Tried also to replace that number with another one, same result. Could you please help? Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Galaxy s8 - Cannot erase phone numbers on contacts

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @usercJGyZvlyiH

Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometimes Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @usercJGyZvlyiH

Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometimes Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

usercJGyZvlyiH
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Many thanks SamsungViv - I did as you indicated, and so far so good. Will keep up cleaning the cache on a regular basis. The only entry I could not change was the Cloud one, which I erased.

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Awesome, glad to hear things helped!  Smiley Happy

userebstXAZvby
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have done ALL of these steps and it is not helping. When I go into a contact and try to edit it, the info I want to delete is not there. But when I cancel out of editing the contact, and look at the contact again, there it is. 

I would really love to get rid of obsolete info as it gets confusing sometimes.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to double check, have you tried the steps presented by @SamsungViv?

userLha2UyRxZg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem here.  I find it more simple to just write all the info from that contact down, delete the whole contact and put the new in.

userr91XecwYNs
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same problem...deleting an old phone number from a contact.

I've followed all the steps detailed here...VERY frustrating

userbj346mX15B
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep. It's the Google 'pack rat' philosophy. Since they have unlimited storage anyway, why make data deletion intuitive, or why even include data deletion functionality at all. 

userPD25N0dNnW
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You can go into the specific contact, hit edit. Then hit the 3 lines at the top and unlink the number you are trying to delete.