cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userEWmdJSsScG
Asteroid

Galaxy s8 lock screen not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After the recent update it seems the lock screen is not functioning.  This is frustrating as now anyone can have access to my phone.  The irony of it all is that the update was suppose to strengthen security. clicking the power button only turns the screen on or off. Doesn't lock phone. Is there a solution to this or will i just have to wait for another update? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Galaxy s8 lock screen not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry about those older steps, it's basically the Bixby button instead of the Home button.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  5. Press the Power key to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @userEWmdJSsScG

Can you go over to Settings>Lock Screen and Security>Screen Lock Type? When you click on that, what does it say your current lock type is?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userEWmdJSsScG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It says password. Ive even changed it to other types of security codes (i.e: pin, pattern) and still did not work even with the application of the changes. 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Out of curiosity, if you hit the power button and leave the phone alone for a bit, like 5 minutes or so, does it still not ask for a password when waking the screen back up?

userEWmdJSsScG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
It does not. If i click the power button the screen turns off as it should. But after some time even after hours it does not ask for password. The power button itself still works that if i hold it for a few seconds it will ask to power off.
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let me know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  3. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd party apps. Instructions are here

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just wanted to reach back out and see if those steps helped out! If not, please let the Community know so that they can look into different ideas to help further.

userEWmdJSsScG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

None of the solutions have worked.  So far the only time my phone asks for a password is when i power off the phone completely and then turn it back on.

userEWmdJSsScG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also some of the solutions were not really helpful because my phone does not have a home button. I was able to do the steps for safe mode, and clear all the apps. Could not figure out how to clear all cache 

Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry about those older steps, it's basically the Bixby button instead of the Home button.

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all keys ('Installing system update' will show for about 30 - 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight “wipe cache partition.”
  5. Press the Power key to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key to highlight “yes” and press the Power key to select.
  7. When the wipe cache partition is complete, “Reboot system now” is highlighted.
  8. Press the Power key to restart the device.

View solution in original post