cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy s8

Is it necessary to close apps all the time?

7 REPLIES 7
RavenLyn
Astronaut

Doing so helps keep your phone from running slow, and it...

Doing so helps keep your phone from running slow, and it helps save battery life.

Comet

Most reports claims Closing app help to save battery as i...

Most reports claims Closing app help to save battery as it stops apps from running in background and helps run the device smoothly and faster as less ram is being used. So it is recommended to close apps and also to restart device in regular basis for device best performance.

NBI

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Comet

On the other hand, OneUI incorporates adaptive battery ma...

On the other hand, OneUI incorporates adaptive battery management that can close unused apps for you and drastically reduced the impact of those that are running. I've also seen articles suggesting that modern smart phones, unlike computers, don't actually keep apps running in the background, but rather keep the recent apps as shortcuts to get back in more quickly, and that closing apps then later launching them from cold can actually cause a resource drain. In other words, I think you ask a good question, and that the answer is not necessarily clear.

I rarely close apps on my S9, and don't run into issues unless a specific app misbehaves by failing to throttle down.

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Galaxy s8

Hey @Samsung_RvXgVYO, I hope you're doing well.

Although it isn't exactly necessary to close all app all the time, it is recommended that you do regularly close un-needed apps and optimize your device via the Device Care app.

The Galaxy S8 is still a great phone and can get a full days use if optimized correctly.

If you need further information on this matter or any other related to your Samsung devices, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Take care!

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

Requa, I've found if I close apps too much my phone will...

Requa, I've found if I close apps too much my phone will actually get rather hot. So I guess I might stop closing apps so much, doesn't seem to be helping.

Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: Galaxy s8

It it's better to keep apps open.  Allow the system manage RAM (random access memory). 

Closing apps slow the phone down as it will need to load the app from scratch, taking more battery with it. 

Comet

So there you have your answer(s). In years past, I think...

So there you have your answer(s). In years past, I think it was necessary to close apps just like I do on my Windows PC. I'm no longer convinced of that, but others are. It probably depends on the device, installed apps, and actual usage. I think your best bet is to test it for yourself, but very deliberately. In a given day, decide if it's gong to be a "close the apps" day or a "leave then running" day and see how it affects your performance and battery. Sorry it's not clear.

Dan
Galaxy S9 SM-G960U on Xfinity Mobile + Gear S2 Classic