cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nova832
Asteroid

Google Play apps pause updating when screen is off

App updates stop when the screen shuts off and pick up again when I wake it up.

This is incredibly inconvenient as I prefer to start the updates before bed so it can finish overnight. 

My battery mode is set to optimize, BUT it has been that way since I bought the phone 2 (3?) years ago and this issue only just started in the last few months. 

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Google Play apps pause updating when screen is off

Have you checked if the Google Play store is listed under sleeping apps?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Nova832
Asteroid

I did, both before creating the thread and just now, and it's not listed as a sleeping app. 

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Have you checked if the battery is being optimized on the app?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Nova832
Asteroid

Where would one check individual apps for that? I'm afraid I've never stumbled across that feature/list before. 

UnkleDee
Asteroid

Settings> Device Care> Battery> Power Mode.

Also try long pressing the play store app> app info> battery> turn "allow background activity" on, tap optimize battery usage> make sure play store is under the app not optimized tab.

Nova832
Asteroid

Thank you. 

When I looked Allow background activity was turned on, but it was also being optimized.  Shutting off the optimization shut off the background activity setting and rendered it unselectable. 

I'm going to leave the optimization off while I try running updates tonight to see what happens.