Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qchau77
Asteroid

How are the updates for Samsung Galaxy S8 unlocked version

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi everyone!

I just want to ask for the experience of updates from some current owners of the unlocked Galaxy S8 (pr S8+). How is it? Has Samsung been updating their S8 and S8+ plus with security patches? Is it better than the unlocked S7 and S7 Edge update fiasco?

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: How are the updates for Samsung Galaxy S8 unlocked version

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am current on my security patch for the unlocked S8. I got really annoyed recently once I realized all the features my carrier - Verizon - was locking me out of. So I swapped out for the unlocked Galaxy S8. I just got a security update 2 days ago or so. I did do my research and read that Samsung promises updates for the unlocked S8 would be timely unlike in the past. So far, that seems to be holding up. And if it stays that way, I will only be using u locked phones going forward. Hope that helps!

Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response.
8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am current on my security patch for the unlocked S8. I got really annoyed recently once I realized all the features my carrier - Verizon - was locking me out of. So I swapped out for the unlocked Galaxy S8. I just got a security update 2 days ago or so. I did do my research and read that Samsung promises updates for the unlocked S8 would be timely unlike in the past. So far, that seems to be holding up. And if it stays that way, I will only be using u locked phones going forward. Hope that helps!

Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response.
userBmiaIlxyEg
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have Galaxy S8 Plus unlocked.  Since the last update, I keep losing the Wi-Fi connection until I toggle my phone's wifi off then on again. 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userBmiaIlxyEg

In regards to losing Wi-Fi consistently. Try booting your phone into recovery mode and clearing the cache. That has helped me with a similar issue I had with Bluetooth in the past. To boot into recovery mode, follow these steps:

1. Power down your phone. 

2. Hold down the Bixby button, volume down, and power button until the screen turns on. Then let go. This should put you into recovery mode.

3. Use your volume up and down buttons to choose between the selections and select clear cache. 

4. When/if prompted, choose YES to actually clear it.

5. Use the volume up/down buttons to reboot your phone.

Let me.know if that helps with the Wi-Fi issue. 

Djv
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung has not kept their promise! I am using the unlocked S8, today is Friday, October 27, 2017 and I still have the August 1. 2017 Android security patch level. Checked the update via OTA as well as Smart Switch on the PC and no updates available.

userFdqM2EFjuk
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well I have the S8 unlocked and I am still on August security patch. I think the S7 unlocked got the November patch. So I would say  the situation is not very different. 

Djv
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Today is Friday, March 16, 2018 and my unlocked S8 hasn't received any security updates for over 100 days, Dec-17. I still don't have the Jan/Feb/Mar 2018 updates, so don't expect much from Samsung.

userOVvbjoTRn3
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the samsung galaxy s8 plus. It's a great phone but there's 2 things I don't like. 1. I have auto rotate on, but my phone never does that. And 2. Eversince i installed the most recent system update, when i go to charge my phone, it says moisture has been detected in the USB port. Neither my phone e or charging cable are wet or have moisture in them. Like, the 1st day it happened, i bought a new charging cable. But a few days later i got to charge i got the same message. So i restarted my phone and used my old cable, and now the phone is charging. Anyone else has this problem? If so how did you fix it?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userOVvbjoTRn3  is it not rotating in any app or screen, or only on certain screens? For the moisture error, please check the following article link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.