cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usermEzf9MoDnn
Astronaut

Interesting issue with S8+

I purchased an S8+ about 2 years ago from Sprint. This was directly from them and was locked to the Sprint network. I recently paid off the phone - and Sprint unlocked it right away. I moved providers to Google Fi and on inserting thier sim card, my phone booted with a TMobile image! I assumed that Fi hit a TMobile tower and hence the image. However, there two interesting issues that come from this:

1. My phone says its "locked" to the TMobile network - which can't be true.

2. I seem to be getting TMobile updates via cellular data despite having it turned off. Apparently, I read that updates can be pushed by the provider regardless of your preference to only update via Wifi. I think in such cases, the provider who pushes the update (TMobile) decides not to charge for it. However, in my case, since the phone is on the Fi network, we get charged for data use.

I got in touch with Fi support. One of their tech support staff acknowledged such an issue with thier Pixel phones. He then transferred the case to their senior tech. support staff who responded by saying that it is a Samsung issue. Here is what he had to say...

"Based on my experience to android phones, it's the manufacturer that has control on it's operating system in our case Samsung. There are instances where the carrier would be able to push updates if the phone is made exclusive for the provider. However, this wouldn't be applicable to your phone as the unit came from Sprint based on what was relayed to me. I suggest that you inform Samsung regarding this as it could be a trending issue on some of their units."

He had nothing to say about the phone being locked to TMobile. 

Any truth to this or is Google shifting blame to someone else?

Please note that this phone/account has never had a relationship with TMobile before. This is a Sprint phone purchased from Sprint! Any inputs would be appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2
Dragonsbait
Astronaut

Re: Interesting issue with S8+

Before Netflix got caught red handed with proof that they were slowing connections due to not getting paid extra from ISPs, they shifted blame to the ISPs. Passing the buck, seems to be a regular thing when companies don't want to deal with an issue or aren't getting paid (or even political reasons). I would contact Sprint and see what they say about the update. If not them, you can also check online and see if there are any custom builds you can opt for instead.

usermEzf9MoDnn
Astronaut

Re: Interesting issue with S8+

Thanks. There is actually a whole thread on the Fi foums talking about this in the context of Pixel. I seriously doubt its a Samsung issue. I have filed an FCC complaint as Fi is basically refusing to even acknowledge the issue. If they inadvertently locked my phone to TMobile - they better fix it!

I am not particularly tied to Google as a provider, and frankly, I am surprised at the level of incompetence there. On one of my first chat support requests on this issue - I was told to try "rooting the device" - which is probably the worst piece of advice that a formal tech. support agent should/can give. That was followed by the second worst piece of advice - something to the effect - 'we are very sorry, please provide feedback using this link'. And, I did - expect the feedback was to the FCC!