Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user2MNGtBPeFP
Asteroid

LED notifications not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the LED notifcations turned On, and for my email app and message app they are turned on there too. However the blue LED flashing light never comes on for incomming emails/messages, etc. It works on my wife's S7 with the same apps.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
user2MNGtBPeFP
Asteroid

Re: LED notifications not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK, I found the solution!!! Apparently it's a Google Andriod thing. In order for the LED notification to work, the app must have a sound. If you use silent, it doesn't work. What I did was download a silent ringtone (with 1 sec of silence), assigned that, and everything is fine now. Gee....thanks Google.

58 REPLIES 58
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, @user2MNGtBPeFP. We're glad you reached out here with your concern.
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  3. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  4. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here.

If those don't help, we certainly want to assist you further with this matter. To better do that, can we have some added details about your specific device and this concern? Things that will help the most would be the exact model number and Baseband version (both under Settings>About Device) for your device as well as your carrier. Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user2MNGtBPeFP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thanks! The device is the S8 on T-Mobile. All apps are up to date. The same apps work on my wife's S7. I haven't seen the blue LED for notifications yet, even though notification icons appear in the status bar on top.
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay, just to verify, if you open the Email and Message app, go to the top right corner, go to Settings, and then Notifications, they are both set to ON?

Then if you go to Settings>Display make sure that the LED Indicator is toggled to ON also.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userTLTmGO1XMh
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem - but I realised my emails don't sync cause it uses the Outlook app instead. Do you not get led notification for whatsapp/Viber/Facebook anymore? 

userkes9HWN2mQ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Glad I found this thread.... I am having the same issue.  LED notifications are not working for my messaging (or any other) apps.  When I download a LED Manager app to test that the LED is physically working, it sure does work.  But the LED's do not work under the own accord with the respective apps that are installed on my phone.

user2MNGtBPeFP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK, I found the solution!!! Apparently it's a Google Andriod thing. In order for the LED notification to work, the app must have a sound. If you use silent, it doesn't work. What I did was download a silent ringtone (with 1 sec of silence), assigned that, and everything is fine now. Gee....thanks Google.

userkes9HWN2mQ
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow! Right you are! How on earth did you discover that?  I've been toggling all kinds of settings for the past 24hrs!

Nice one Google.... Not!

user2MNGtBPeFP
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The support for my email app (AquaMail) sent me to another forum since other phones have the same problem.

userIuX5eSmm2v
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

From experiencing these issues and messing with settings I learned the LED only worked when the phone is silent or the sound is on. For some reason it doesn't work on vibrate.. very frustrating