cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OneBeanShy
Asteroid

Media Audio suddenly grayed out in car

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As of 4 days ago, we can no longer use our S8+ phones to stream audio to the car via Bluetooth. We've tried everything and went to AT&T yesterday and nothing. When you toggle it on it automatically toggles off and remains grayed out. The fact that it's two devices, both which had the ability last week, points to the device. In the car the phones are set up as media audio. It's only the phones that block the ability. They only allow call audio. Help! (Please.)

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OneBeanShy
Asteroid

Re: Media Audio suddenly grayed out in car

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you everyone! I got it working. At least for my phone, I'll have to add my husband's back to see if it works on his. As a last resort before factory resetting my phone, I reset my Sync settings in the car to factory settings. (Disconnect all Bluetooth devices and remove SD card). When it was done and I had to add the phone it allowed the media audio. So I'm not sure why this happened, but as of this moment I can use media audio and call audio. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello @user8NLHoDcqMx, can you try booting your phone into safe mode to see if you can connect to Bluetooth

To get into safe mode, just do the following:

• Power your device down
  • Then power it back on
  • Press and hold the Volume Down key when you see the Samsung logo until the phone is powered on. 

Let me know how this works.        

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

what are the year make and model of your vehicle?

what is the software build number from the phone settings > about phone?

have you deleted everything in your phone bt list and re-pair with the vehicle?

OneBeanShy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried doing safe mode and had the same experience. 

The car is a Ford Explorer 2017 - running Sync. 

The phones are both Samsung Galaxy S8+ running build number R16NW.G955USQS5CRF5

What I've done thus far:

Safe Mode - no change
Removed all BT deviced from car and phone - no change
Restart Phone - no change 
Turned Airplane Mode ON/OFF - no change
Attempted to change settings in SmartThings - does not allow me to turn on media audio
Checked with AT&T store - no advice since it's both devices

My car shows the phone is connected as BT Stereo abled, but on the phone it does not allow me to do so (toggle option shows grayed out when attempting to change it on, then it immediately toggles it off). (See attached images) Image 1 is what the settings screen looks like when you first go into it. The second screen is what happens after you try to toggle it on. 

This is what shows when you first enter the settings screen.

This is what happens after you try to toggle it on.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for the information. Lets give this a shot; 

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Device Maintenance>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

Settings>Apps>Click on the three dots at the top right corner>Show system Apps>Bluetooth>Storage> Clear Cache/Data

Let me know if this works for you!

OneBeanShy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No. Same thing. It shows that it's able to be BT Stereo in the Sync settings, but it's still not being toggled on in the phone Bluetooth settings. When it connects to the car it's call audio only. 

Highlighted
Black Hole

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@OneBeanShy: Try the following:

1. Settings
  2. Apps
  3. 3 Vertical Dots
  4. Show System Apps
  5. Bluetooth
  6. Storage
  7. Clear Cache
  8. Clear Data

Then:

1. Settings
  2. Apps
  3. 3 Vertical Dots
  4. Show System Apps
  5. Bluetooth MIDI Service
  6. Storage
  7. Clear Cache
  8. Clear Data

Then: 

1. Settings
  2. Apps
  3. 3 Vertical Dots
  4. Show System Apps
  5. Bluetooth Test
  6. Storage
  7. Clear Cache
  8. Clear Data

Also, when following the steps below there should be 3 separate phone application, perform these steps for all 3.

1. Settings
  2. Apps
  3. 3 Vertical Dots
  4. Show System Apps
  5. Phone
  6. Storage
  7. Clear Cache
  8. Clear Data

Once these steps have been completed please restart your device. 

OneBeanShy
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, everyone. It's still not working for either of the S8+ phones. Smiley Sad In the car, it's still stating that the phone "erin Smiley Happy" is set up for BT Stereo but the setting in the phone itself will not toggle on (if I press the "BT Stereo" option in the car, I can choose my phone, but nothing happens — in the media settings, it shows that it's "on" for my phone, but it's not - everything on the phone side shows call audio only). As soon as you swipe to the right to turn it on it takes like 2-4 seconds and then automatically swipes back to the left for off. It never turns blue. I still am able to use it for call audio, but I can no longer use it for BT audio — so no streaming from Pandora, no sound through the car speakers for Waze or Google, either. Frustrating. We've had the cars since July of 2017 and this is the first time we've had an issue with the BT in the car. Smiley Sad 

Red Giant

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Go to bluetooth settings in car => check for media connection => Select the phone for media connection

hope that works

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@OneBeanShy Have you tried any of the suggestions listed throughout the thread?