cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useriiMA2swwJj
Astronaut

No notification sounds whatsoever on S8

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you may he able to give me. As of a few days ago, my phone has stopped playing any notification tones at all. I've tried googling it, to no avail. The only topic I came across similar to me was from months ago, and the person I believe ended up doing a factory reset. As I mentioned my phone does not play ANY notification sounds from ANY app. The notifications still make the phone vibrate just fine, but no sound is played. I've checked my notification settings 5 times already, wiped my cache, rebooted several times, to no avail. Even when I navigate to the settings for sounds and vibrations, then to notification settings and to default notification sound, when clicking on the different tones to sample them they do not make sound! It's like my phone is permanently stuck on silent for everything except my ring tone, which still works fine. I'm kind of at the end of my rope here, and just wanted to see if you guys had any ideas before I cave in and factory reset the phone. Thank you!
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
useriiMA2swwJj
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Wow I can't believe I'm such an idiot! I finally figured it out myself. Somehow my notification volume and system volume had been turned all the way down to mute. Boy this is embarrassing, lol!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
useriiMA2swwJj
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Wow I can't believe I'm such an idiot! I finally figured it out myself. Somehow my notification volume and system volume had been turned all the way down to mute. Boy this is embarrassing, lol!

View solution in original post

Honored Contributor

Re: No notification sounds whatsoever on S8

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @useriiMA2swwJj

Thanks for reaching out. Also, thank you for posting your solution! That could help someone else who has also had the problem and not yet realized how to fix it.  ^_^

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userccmLyAr95i
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello...I just purchased my phone today and am having the same problems. No notifications sound with my text messages and the sound is up and the notifications are allowed. How do I fix the issue? Thanks in advance!
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userccmLyAr95i

Were you able to try the suggestions from earlier in the thread? They could help you too.  Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userccmLyAr95i
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Yes I was able to get the notifications to work. I had to uninstall my 3rd party messages app and it worked.
userNODocoSjO0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just brought a Galaxy s8 edge only had it 2 days and my notificationon the text message doesn't make a sound at all only vibrates. I've called several times they trouble shoot it manually still nothing. They reboot it and there again nothing. I had to replace 2 phones in 2 weeks time. The notifications will work on the first day and then nothing. I've checked the volume keys, the notification settings and they are all on high volume still I get nothing. Please help? This is so frustrating especially when these phones are so expensive. 

userhjDDuZAvyt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When mine became mute and all my setting seemed right, someone told me to pull down my menu at the top of the screen and find sound. Touching the word instead of the icon, I was given 3 choices.

Sound

Vibrate

Mute

I chose sound and resolved the issue. Idk if this is the case wirh your phone but good luck!

user0Hz8dWfm85
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For some odd reason no notification sound on my S8 plus. This issue just started today.

None of what everybody said on here...is not my issue. I checked all...all sounds were on. What is going on help please.

This is just something that automatically happened today for no reason & I have no clue why. I didn't do nothing Smiley Frustrated

Tiffany562411 

SamCisneros1018
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had to go into my app and app permissions find messages clicked on the settings icon in the top right i clicked on general notification and the new message ones and changed the sound it had 5098 as my ringtone no idea what that is but if i changed it just under the sound settings it would not ring only vibrated all sound on high but would not make one for texts .. as well as if i had a different sound selected under the sound settings vs the other two i just previously described the only sound that worked was whatever was selected under the apps one no matter what i selected under sounds it only vibrated it didnt start happening until i had the update last night