Original topic:

Phone update practically crippled my phone please help!

(Topic created on: 1/8/21 12:06 AM)
Options
Galaxy S8

Phone updated 3 days ago without asking and when I woke up everything was rearranged and most of my apps wouldn't work (many still don't! ). Thankfully it didn't erase any of my files but for a while none of them would appear in some apps, such as samsung music, and gallery. Video player wouldn't open any of my video files but after downloading it, thankfully it's one app that's returned to working order. Tried redownloading as many apps as I could but many are still broken; reddit, imgur, Netflix, hulu, BitTorrent, amazon, even the galaxy store app, the list goes on. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it's always the same, they show me the first frame of loading then they close automatically and say "stopped working" or " keeps stopping". When I check for updates ot says my phone is up to date but it is working so much worse than how it was just 3 days ago, 3 days ago it was fine! But here is the worst part! I cant get into my secure folder! Please if you know any info on how I can get back into it I'd really appreciate it so I can back up my data in there. I open it and I see my screensaver, then it freezes. I cant input my pin to get to the settings. I tried using samsung DeX but it just says "unlock on phone" and ofcourse nothing appears on my phone. One saving grace is that at least it isn't crashing on my and closing, it gets stuck and I can still check my notifications and press buttons with responses but nothing appears and i cant get in. Does anyone know if installing an older patch or more recent patch of an apk file for secure folder would work? I tried that on my galaxy store and it worked for the rest of the day then stopped working the next. I'm too afraid to try it and for the app to think I'm corrupting it and lock itself. I dont know what's wrong with the phone which is why I dont know how to fix it. I dont understand why it cant open certain apps when I have memory and they are the latest version. Does anyone know why some keep crashing and not work? I can list the apps that worked without me having to do anything if that helps. Please help, thank you!

4 Replies
NonMisleadingName
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S8
Have you tried booting in recovery mode and selecting "wipe cache" and "repair apps"? Neither will delete your data. just make sure you select CACHE.
Options
Galaxy S8

I'll try this thank you, I didn't see an option for repair apps so this might be exactly what I need!

0 Likes
TheGalaxy
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S8
clear cache partition
Options
Galaxy S8

Clear cache partition did nothing. I've done it multiple times different days, hours apart. Leaving the phone off for a while, doing it, restarting. Does nothing. There is no repair apps mode or option in the s8 recovery mode, as far as I can tell that's a feature for google phones. Everywhere I looked online doesn't have additional information on that subject. I'm fairly certain my only viable options that can help me are to flash my phone models firmware through odin, read it maintains all my phone data but fixes any corrupted apps. Will need to do further research, I know downloading from sammobile.com is a safe site, but I'd like to hear from somebody that has done this to know if this actually works and if my phone will actually stay intact because I see conflicting articles. Am I downloading a previous os or redownloading my current os, or are apk files different in a way that I'm only supposed to redownload the apps that are broken, idk if apk files require odin. My other option is to go to a repair center with a pro but idk how that process is or how much flashing a phone will cost. Any further info on odin and flashing official samsung firmware will be appreciated if it can help me understand if this is safe to do on my own. Thank you.

0 Likes