cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
useryD649DfZfo
Asteroid

Phone will not charge or turn on if it dies

My Galaxy S8+ has been having charging issues. It will charge fine if I charge it before it dies. Once the phone dies, it will not charge, it just shows a lightning bolt with no percentage. When I try to power it on, it says phone "powering on" has the little lock symbol unlocking, and then turns off. I had this happen before, and after awhile I was finally able to get into the menu that gave me the ability to do a factory reset. I cleared both the cache and did a factory reset. It worked after that, but I do not want to do another factory reset!! My phone is only like 2 months old...

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Phone will not charge or turn on if it dies

Thank you for reaching out. I would be happy to assist you further. Have you tried using another charger? Are you using the original charger that came with the device?

useryD649DfZfo
Asteroid

I am using the original charger that came with the device, but I have also tried other chargers without any success. 

useryD649DfZfo
Asteroid

Now when the phone attempts to turn on it gets stuck on the screen that says "Samsung Galaxy S8+", but will not go further. I tried to boot it in recovery mode, but was unsuccessful, as it continually just freezes onto this screen.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Hello @useryD649DfZfo,

I'm sorry to hear this has happened. Can you send a private message here providing the full mode code and IMEI number so I can look into the warranty status? Sounds like you may need service.

userwhQpHU2zwS
Constellation

I had similar issues. I found that if i used a wireless charger, i could charge the phone after it died, however the charging cable would not charge the phone after it had died. This is more of a work around than an actual solution, but at least you would not have to factory reset. So my advice to be a little clearer, use a wireless charging pad instead of the charging plug in cable. Picture is just an example of one of the brands ive tried that has worked for over 2 years.

useryD649DfZfo
Asteroid

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will go pick up a wireless charger and see if that works.

useryD649DfZfo
Asteroid

Sadly, this didn't work for me. It just boots to the "samsung Galaxy S8+" screen. I can't get it to do anything else.

jasonshaffer79
Astronaut

You don't want to. There are many bug with the system and apps. They if you get sick of the bugs, even though they say you can revert back to 9 YOU CAN'T. Customer service is completely useless in this case so no help there. They said to use a pc program but that don't work. The only way to get it back to normal is send it in to be fixed or goto a Samsung walk in repair place. IT'S BEEN AN OVERALL BAD EXPERIENCE

userJG6CdZZcOQ
Constellation

I had the exact same issue with my s8 and note 8 apparently it was a software issue I was able to send it back on warranty. apparently once the phone dies it dies so much that the phone doesn't recognize that the charger is being plugged in.