cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usergk3fgYntb8
Constellation

Re: Rear camera on S8 wont focus

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same issue today. As with most other shaking it helps. I believe this is because the focus is not some digital miracle. The camera is made of moving parts. I highly doubt it a software issue. I guess I could see it being a possibility but I'd much rather place my bet on phones getting dropped or the finger print sensor getting pressed too hard. Dropping your phone will happen. I've done it with no harm, or so I thought atleast. I'm thinking the camera simply move too much in the event of a drop or the fingerpring sensor being pressed too hard causing the camera to jam up. It would also then make sense that shaking it helps the camera move and it resets to its proper position where the auto focus mechanic is allowed to move normaly. The camera consist of moving part and a small motor for stabilisation and autofocus. This is a hardware issue in my eyes and it poor manufacturing on Samsung's side of things.

Highlighted
userXi7jeCRYLZ
Asteroid

Re: Rear camera on Samsung Galaxy S8 will not focus - intermittent issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

UK owner for 6 weeks - now it's 22nd Aug 2017 - So, I am having pretty much the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy S8 everybody else is describing - intermittently, when I click the camera icon, the camera starts up but will not focus until I tap the side of the phone, then it springs to life and works fine.

fuzzy_pic_001.jpgBefore tapping the phone

I have owned the phone less than two months.

So far, I have been back to the Samsung (Experience) Store twice - the first time, after they insisted it must be an issue with an app I have installed, they caved in and switched the camera module.  All OK for a day or so, then boom!  Intermittent focus issue returned - back to the store.

This time, they replaced the camera motherboard - I got it back at 5pm last night and, hey presto - the problem is back at 12:00 noon today.

Apparently, the Samsung 'Experience' Store can't return the phone to Samsung unless the same issue has been reported three times - I guess it's finally going back now!

So - here's an interesting thing that I have found, but it's inconclusive ...

I have only really installed one App that I use the camera for - Whatsapp ... and, while it doesn't seem to matter whether I use the Samsung Camera icon OR the Camera icon in Whatsapp - it does seem to go wrong more frequently with Whatsapp than with the on-camera app?

When reinstalling all my apps, I made sure to give all the necessary permissions for Whatsapp ... am I barking up the wrong tree?

Frankly, as tapping the side of the camera fixes the focussing, it's clearly a mechanical issue, but could it be that the 'controller' for the mechanics is somehow 'freezing' under certain circumstances?

#Samsung #Galaxy #S8 #focus #problem #intermittent #issue #whatsapp

gigiuk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi,

This happened to me starting yesterday. Now every time I open the camera, it won't focus and have to shake the phone really hard to make it work.

Not sure if it is related but the day before I activated bixby.

Anyone has had any success in having this repaired and fixed under warranty?

userXi7jeCRYLZ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My local Samsung 'Experience' Store have stated that they will only escalate to Samsung if the phone is presented to them three times consecutively with the same problem ...

It went back twice already, it's had a new camera module and a full replacement 'motherboard', and is still having the same issue with intermittent non-focus on camera startup - so it will be going back to my local 'experience' store this week - let's see what they say - I'll let you know.

I have tried the 'set camera to pro' trick ... I thought it was fixed, then a couple of hours later, it went wrong again :-(

I have tried to see if it's app related - opening the camera in Whatsapp seems to have a higher failure rate, but simply opening it by clicking on the camera app icon still has the issue - it's just so intermittent/random it's hard to say if it's specifically one thing or another?

Google search, (Samsung Galaxy S8 camera focus problem), seems to suggest this is a much bigger problem than anybody at Samsung care to acknowledge.

Funny - I upgraded from a Galaxy S7 - all the same apps - I never had this problem with my S7 !!

userCqIxZrsHOO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had to return mine 3 times to Samsung repair before i was eventually given a new phone, i wrote about my experience on this thread, I've had the new one a couple of months and not had any issues, if i do then i won't hesitate in returning it. I got mine through Vodafone and the assistant told me i was the only one that had the camera issue with them and they had sold plenty..so i guess most are totally fine, especially given the millions that are sold monthly ? The problem has been about for 4 or 5 months now and no software fix exists, all you can do is return it till it's fixed one way or the other. 

user2KHCIIQPVQ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Although the shaking thing works, it's not a proper solution. I'm taking mine back to Three for replacement.

userWqMCbHzNLy
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello guys.

Greetings from Romania. Same problem I have with my galaxy S8+. The problem is that I cannot reproduce this issue when I want and because of this the guys from Samsung Romania told me that they cannot do something on the phone if this problem is not present on their side. This means I have the risk to send the phone in the service...and there to work fine. Anyway I have asked them if this problem was reported to them till now or if they heard about this and the answer was surprising: NO.

What is strange is that I found on youtube this problem also on galaxy S7 (I had this version before but no issue regarding this aspect) this means Samsung should know about this problem.

PS: If you shake it, the problem disappear...but...come'on...is this really a solution???!!!!

userXi7jeCRYLZ
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So - I took my phone in to my local Samsung 'experience' store today - the third time with exactly the same intermittent focus problem, only to be told "I don't know who told you that three returns then we send it to Samsung, but that's not what we do" .... "Well ... " I replied, "... Either you are lying to me or the two staff I dealt with on previous visits are ... Which is it?"

After a bit of umming and ahing, my phone is now with the Samsung 'f@&£ing awful' experience store waiting for them to deal with Samsung on my behalf .... We'll see!

Right now I am really regretting upgrading, not least because the constant restores are a royal PITA .

For those happy that shaking/tapping the phone is a 'fix' ... Would you be happy with a brand new £800 camera that suffered the same issue?

I will post an update when I have any news :-(

userZ8S51wCWtw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Will this affect the ip68 water resistant feature if you open the phone to repair internal parts ?

Egold
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Also same problem.

Need to  shake a new expensive phone to get focus....

Samsung = rubbish Company