cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RRusseLL
Constellation

Rear camera on S8 wont focus

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Recently the camera on my S8 won't focus when taking pictures or recording video however if I point the camera extremely close to something the detail is brilliant.  14962301626101098465090.jpg

1496230186436419357901.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Honored Contributor

Re: Rear camera on S8 wont focus

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Greetings folks!

We’ve been following this thread, and we wanted to share some common things to try to resolve this issue so you don’t have to dig too far into the thread to get answers.

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look, the Google Play Store and Galaxy App store. Make sure you to go to both App Store apps and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone operating system up to date? Go to Settings > About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear Application caches and Application data. Instructions are HERE.
  4. Clear phone cache. Instructions are HERE

If you’ve tried all of these, and are still having problems with your camera focusing, I would suggest sending the device in for an evaluation and repair.   

For those of you that are in the US and using US devices, reach out to Samsung directly via phone (1-800-SAMSUNG/1-800-726-7864).

Also, you may want to reach out to your carrier to see if they have a different option that might suit you better.  Each carrier has different warranty and return policies, so they will be able to give you the answers specific to your situation.

For those of you that are in a different country, please reach out to the Samsung support in your region to set up that evaluation and repair. You can find the master list for regional support right HERE

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

193 REPLIES 193
Honored Contributor

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello there, @RRusseLL
Let's try some troubleshooting steps, just let us know how these go!

1. Are all your Apps are up to date? You have 2 places that you need to look. Google Play store and Galaxy app store. Go to both and check My Apps. Make sure there is no app that needs updating. 
  2. Is your phone OS up to date? Go to Settings, About phone and check for software update. Make sure you have the latest phone software. 
  3. Clear phone cache. Instructions are here
  4. Clear Application cache and sometime Application data. Instructions are here
  5. Restart your phone in Safe mode. This is just to help you isolate the issue if it is caused by 3rd part apps. Instructions are here.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

user46Uk3wU543
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
got the same issue as OP. tried all those steps in that order and the rear camera still wont focus at all.
user3IHK2gysMe
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine S8+ camera is also not focusing the view is blurr and only focus near objects while far objects are full blurred.  I tried to reset the camera settings also clearwd the cache updated all apps, but the solution i found is when you shake the phone the view gets clear. Now i am worried about this. It never happened before as I am using this phone for over 2 months now and the problem occurred since 1 week. Any one with any solution...?

@user46Uk3wU543 wrote:
got the same issue as OP. tried all those steps in that order and the rear camera still wont focus at all.

RRusseLL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you.  Im not sure what the solution was but I closed down all open apps,  updated all apps in need and then sort of forgot about the issue as all the apps were updating.  Next thing I know,  I opened Snapchat to check a message and noticed the camera was fine so I checked the phones camera and everything was back to normal. 

So I cant say which step fixed my issue but upon following your steps it was fixed,  thank you. 

The S8 remains the best.! 

userydxsthDlFn
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i checked my camera yesterday and it was fine, but today the issue has returned. I've tried the usual steps; restart, clear the app cache etc. but no luck.

Really need a permanent and reliable fix for this Smiley Sad

any tips?

userNi6qN3q5xQ
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
userEcxODJC4kM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank u, this really helped.
userkH2FaXBryl
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When your phone is in camera mode shake it from left to right a few times. For some reason this allows the lens to focus. Not too sure why but I was having the same problem and this worked for me and my friends that I passed on this advise to.

user28yxUzJqkc
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This solution definitely helped me, Thanks!