cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userHnBhxxlFGl
Asteroid

Reasons this will be my last Samsung

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had Samsung phones for years.  I have defended them to my Apple-obsessed friends.  I spent a lot of money I could have saved by buying cheaper phones over the years, though I am sure that means nothing.  If I did mean anything to have us as a customer, you would not have deployed this latest "update."  

Samsung could have offered the security updates without the huge changes to the look and operation of my device.  From the forums here, posts elsewhere online, and my friends' and family's  complaints, these changes are in no way welcome, and definitely no improvement.

Opening any system gives a header which takes up half the screen, all bright white.  Scrolling down shows my beautiful theme (which I paid to use) in lozenge-shaped sections, surrounded by more white.  The text is small, thin, and grey so that it is impossible to read without squinting and trying to scroll to a light spot.  I tried to use Bold Text, but that only shows as thicker text with white outlines and dark centers.  It is easy to read on your white background, but not on the dark background I need.  I cannot find a way to make the text readable or at least practical.

The clock/alarms are on a white background now, instead of my darker background.  Trying to peek at your alarm settings in the dark of night is now blinding.   Other apps and system screens are the same boring white surrounding bits of the background I want.  Colors of wallpapers and buttons are changed; previous options seem to be missing or moved; icons are missing or invisible if not chosen (which makes choosing them impossible).  I cannot even search the options in Systems to decide whether this can be salvaged or not.

The new "look" should have been optional.  Forcing an entirely new operational structure under the guise of an "update" was a poor choice.  This is a huge change and not welcome.  It is ugly, childish, poorly tested, and looks like Samsung wants to be Google (who's whitewash looks bother me just as much as this).  Your assumption that people want vast swaths of boredom tells me you haven't even checked with how many of your phones have themes installed.  And if you claim you did check that, you certainly cannot claim you tested your new design for how it might ruin our experience.

If these visual changed are not reversed, my family and I will be changing phones as soon as possible.  Making the security update required but the visual changes voluntary would have been a much better business choice.  Consider doing that before we all give up and go Apple. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userHnBhxxlFGl
Asteroid

Re: Reasons this will be my last Samsung

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There is no theme or background which is not blinding in some aspect of everyday use.  I truly tried.  Even went to humans in the store where I bought it.  The font is still too pale to read. My theme is useless and I cannot find another which provides a smooth background across screens.  Even my keyboard changes depending on what app or website I visit.  The battery drains even while I sleep (which it did imperceptibly before).  

Thanks for trying to help, and to some of you for commiserating.  

17 REPLIES 17
userHnBhxxlFGl
Asteroid

Re: Reasons this will be my last Samsing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I forgot to add that the battery is now draining at least 3x faster than it did yesterday (pre-update).  That is not acceptable.

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userHnBhxxlFGl sorry to hear you aren't liking the look of the new update. The amazing thing about Android vs iOS especially is that you are welcome to customize your device to look and operate pretty much anyway you want. Look into Samsung's Good Lock app on the Galaxy Store and a launcher, like Nova Launcher on the Google Play Store, to help you take full advantage of what Android phones, and Samsung phones, haveto offer. Anything visually can often be tweaked or completely changed. Let me know if you need any detailed tips in a private message. I am here to help you. 

As for your battery issues, it is 100% normal after a major OS update for your battery to recalibrate. After about a week, if your battery life hasn't restabilized, you may have an issue. Just give it some time to relearn your usage habits for now though.

userWtqfbKCXRE
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can not have your back and want to SCREAM AMEN MORE IF I WAS SITTING WITH YOU, I TOO HAVE DEFENDED SAMSUNG TO ALL MY I PHONE FRIENDS AND AFTER WHAT I WOKE TO THIS MORNING AND HAVE SPENT HALF THE DAY JUST TRYING TO NO AVAIL TO HAVE MY VERSION WELL THEIR VERSION MY SETTING OF MY TEXT, IT'S RIDICULOUS AND I LIKE YOU PROBABLY WILL GIVE IN THROW THE TOWEL AT THEM, they destroyed every single thing that took hous here and there to get MY PHONE how I wanted it, so I really may jump ship after this one

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Try a different theme or dark mode.

userHnBhxxlFGl
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a lovely dark sky theme that used to be easy on my eyes.  I still see it on the main screens, but once I open Settings, Contacts, etc it is the white background with lozenge shaped areas of my theme.  The words are all grey against the dark background making it impossible to read.  I did try their new dark theme, but the apps like Alarm Clock are still all white once opened.  

sebastian05000
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

One question? Have you even tried using another theme maybe a dark one or even night mode? Another thing this UI was made because more people wanted a simple UI and easy to use

userHnBhxxlFGl
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

See above.  I did try.  But it does not work well at all.  I used to have a simple dark theme (which I purchased because I wanted specifically to have a dark background with white text so I can read it more easily).  

Samsung should be first serving its existing customers, and that means not stripping our existing look unless we want it gone.  Spending additional hours resetting everything and figuring out whether I can live with what won't change is not what I want to do.  I paid for this phone. I pay monthly service. I did not ask for any "simple" looking changes.  It was already simple.  Instead, now it looks overly blinding, childish, and everything I had "just so" is wiped away.  Instead, Sansumg add update additional themes for people who want to choose them and give directions to those people ... instead of making everyone else reverse engineer their old look (which I doubt will be possible based on the hours I already spent on this).

But thanks for your suggestion.

sebastian05000
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Check if this theme is available for you for me it works fine and shows the text on white with the while phone being in a dark theme http://apps.samsung.com/theme/ProductDetail.as?appId=durim.mkbhd.black&SITE_CODE=us

Opens in Galaxy Themes.

sebastian05000
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION